Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh lauded as the “touchstone for IP law in Canada” in the 2014 edition of IAM Patent 1000 — The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
In the 2014 edition of IAM Patent 1000 — The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh once again tops the rankings in Canadian patent law and is acclaimed as the “touchstone for IP law in Canada.”
In addition to being ranked in the gold band of litigation and licensing firms, the firm is recognized as one of the most highly recommended firms for patent prosecution in .
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is also proud of our eleven professionals who were singled out for mention and lauded for their individual contributions to the firm’s overall success. No other firm in has more lawyers recognized.
Recommended for litigation:
- François Guay, “unquestionably on top of his game” and “is a shoo-in for the best litigator in , if not the whole of ”
- Gunars Gaikis, “the first name to spring to mind for robust patent protection in branded pharmaceuticals… Everyone knows him”
- Steven Garland, “a significant player in terms of contentious work. He is top of mind for savvy representation in contentious briefs”
- Sheldon Hamilton, a “topnotch litigator” who is “excellent… He can be recommended in a heartbeat”
Recommended for prosecution:
- John Knox, praised by a peer for being the first person he thinks of “right off the bat for prosecution” in the West Coast
- Christopher Robinson, a “life sciences sage” based in the West Coast
- Matthew Zischka, “the preferred choice of attorneys at law seeking technical assistance in the electronics field”
Recommended for transactions:
- John Bochnovic, “current president of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property… draws warm praise from all four corners of the world”
- Sanjay Goorachurn, a “cosmopolitan practitioner” whose “invaluable in-house experience informs his advice, giving him insider commercial insight”
- Alistair Simpson, a “High-tech sage” with “innovation-rich clientele ranging from SMEs to multinationals”
- Ted Sum, a “sage” in the high-tech and energy industries
The IAM Patent 1000 is compiled following an extensive research process conducted over five months and involving close to 1,500 telephone interviews with attorneys at law, patent attorneys and in-house counsel. Only those individuals identified by market sources for their exceptional skill sets and profound insights into patent matters are featured in the guide. Firms qualify for a listing on the basis of their depth of expertise, market presence and the level of work on which they are typically engaged.
We are extremely proud of the recognition received by our firm and our practitioners in this year’s guide.