Focus and dedication to precise preparation and protection
With over 20 years of experience in intellectual property litigation, Jeremy is known by clients for his intense focus on the small, yet significant, details and full dedication to their mandate.
Having participated in many successful cases involving patents (including pharmaceuticals), trademarks and copyrights, clients benefit from Jeremy’s involvement at all stages – investigating, preparing and protecting IP interests in order to effectively minimize their risk and successfully assert and defend their interests where needed.
Expertise in quantification of damages and profits
In his IP litigation practice, Jeremy regularly represents clients before the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and successfully argues cases before the Trademarks Opposition Board. Jeremy also offers clients significant experience with respect to patent trials involving the quantification of damages and profits.
Jeremy has litigated on matters relating to patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, breach of confidential information, and competition law. In respect of patents, he has acted in matters that have involved a wide variety of subjects, including chemical, electrical, biochemical, pharmaceutical, biotechnological and mechanical subject matter.
Jeremy has authored and co-authored a number of papers and practice guides, and speaks regularly on issues relating to the Canadian patent system and patent litigation in Canada, including papers prepared for the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and Industry Canada, and the Canadian chapters of Chambers Global Practice Guides and Practical Law.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- “Global Series Major Challenges: Damages and Injunctive Relief” (panelist), Federal Circuit Bar Association, Ottawa, October 2018
- "Patent Law Year in Review," presentation to CIPO Patent Examiners, Gatineau, QC, June 7, 2018
- "Patent Law Update 2018", Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Webinar, February 2018
- "Update on Patents 2018," Law Society of Upper Canada's 22nd Annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review, Ottawa, January 2018”
- "Patent Law Year in Review", Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Webinar, February 2017
- “Update on Patents 2017, Law Society of Upper Canada's 21st Annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review, Ottawa, January 2017”
- "International IP Trends" (panelist), International Legal Alliance Summit and Awards, New York, June 2015
- "Update on Patents - 2014", Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Webinar, February 2014
- "IP Responses to New Technologies" (Panel Discussion), 18th Annual Intellectual Property Law - The Year in Review, Law Society of Upper Canada Continuing Professional Development program, Ottawa, January 2014
- "Canadian I.P. Law Update - Practical tips and information for U.S. counsel - Canadian I.P. Litigation" (with Mark Evans and Matthew Zischka); Smart & Biggar Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, January 2013
- "Intellectual Property Rights: Practical Advice for the Non-IP Practitioner" (with Steven B. Garland, L. Catherine Eckenswiller and Colin B. Ingram), Continuing Legal Education Seminar, County of Carlton Law Association, Ottawa, October 2006
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, member of IPIC's Litigation Committee
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, County of Carleton Law Association
- “Patent Litigation 2019 - Canada” (co-authors: Steven Garland and Daniel Hnatchuk), Chambers Global Practice Guides, July 2019
- “Patent Litigation in Canada: Overview” (co-authors: Steven Garland, Daniel Hnatchuk and Matthew Burt), Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, July 2018
- "Patent Litigation 2018 – Canada,” (co-authors: Steven Garland, Daniel Davies and Lei Liu), Chambers Global Practice Guides, February, 2018
- “Recent Developments in Intellectual Property Remedies in Canada” (co-author: Daniel Whalen), Corporate Counsel, September 2015
- “Case Summary: Sandoz Canada Inc v Canada (Attorney General), 2014 FC 501 and Ratiopharm Inc v Canada (Attorney General), 2014 FC 502” (co-author: Eve Heafey), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, September/October 2014
- "Intellectual Property Litigation: Top 10 Differences between Canada and the U.S." (co-author: Steven Garland), Corporate Counsel, January 2014
- "Making IP Litigation in Canada More Attractive" (co-authors: Steven B. Garland and Colin B. Ingram), Law360, August 2009
- "Recent Developments Lead to Changing Face (and Pace) of Patent Litigation in Canada" (co-authors: Steven Garland and Colin Ingram), Patent World, 2007
- "Court Confirms Criteria for Obtaining Official Marks," International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, August 5, 2006
- "Case Summary: Mattel Inc v 3894207 Canada Inc, 2006 SCC 22 and Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin v Boutiques Cliquot Ltée, 2006 SCC 23," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, July/August 2006
- "The Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in Canada" (co-author: Steven Garland), Intellectual Property and Innovation in the Knowledge-Based Economy (Industry Canada research volume), February 2006
- "Case Summary: Merck & Co v Apotex Inc, 2005 FC 755," (co-author: Daniel Anthony), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, September/October 2005
- "End of the Road" (summary of the decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser; co-author: Steven Garland), Patent World, September 2004
- "Case Summary: Monsanto Canada Inc v Schmeiser,  SCC 34," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, July/August 2004
- "Markman-type Hearings Overturned in Canada," International Law Office, March 2004
- "Case Summary: R v Neil,  S.C.J. No. 72, 2002 SCC 70," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, April 2003
- "The Canadian Patent System: An Appropriate Balance Between the Rights of the Public and the Patentee" (co-author: Steven Garland), (1999), 16 C.I.P.R. 43