Rigorous IP litigation that takes business issues into account
Drawing on his diverse IP litigation experience and knowledge, Daniel excels at using the legal process to achieve his clients’ business objectives and focuses wholly on maximizing their success.
Driven by the intellectual challenge of advocating for his clients, Daniel strives to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying business issues at the core of each litigation case. This insight allows him to provide a realistic view of potential options and to set a clear yet creative path towards the desired outcome, whether it be in court or through negotiated settlement.
Technical expertise in electrical and computer engineering add value and efficiency
Daniel works with clients in a wide variety of fields, including high-tech companies, internet companies, manufacturers, retail chains, pharmaceutical companies and the oil and gas industry. His strong background in electrical engineering and experience in computer programming are valuable assets when providing strategic advice and efficient service to clients.
Daniel focuses primarily on patent, trademark, and copyright litigation. He regularly represents clients in court proceedings, including before the Federal Court of Canada, and advises clients on the enforcement of their Canadian intellectual property rights. He also represents clients in trademark oppositions, trademark expungement proceedings and domain name disputes.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- "Patent Litigation 2018 – Canada,” (co-authors: Jeremy Want, Steven Garland and Lei Liu), Chambers Global Practice Guides, February, 2018
- "Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses: Canada Chapter" (co-authors: Steven Garland, Lei Liu), Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses, Wolters Kluwer Law, September 26 2016
- "Trademark Law and Regulation," (co-authors: Daniel Davies, Graham Hood), Lexis Practice Advisor Canada, September 2016
- "Intellectual Property Litigation: Forms and Precedents, Chapter 19: Security for Costs ," (co-author: Daniel Davies), LexisNexis, April 19, 2016
- "Supreme Court provides guidance on application of 'fair dealing' test" (co-author: Kevin Graham), International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, August 6, 2012