Highly-skilled litigator and advisor for high-stakes intellectual property matters
François Guay is among the most experienced intellectual property litigators in Canada and a highly sought-after advisor to the largest, most innovative companies in the world. His “tactical acumen has saved the day for the likes of Microsoft, Nike and Air Canada. His ability to give reliable, early cost-benefit assessments allow senior business executives to plan ahead confidently and get an edge over their competitors” (IAM Patents 1000, 2018).
As one of the most successful IP litigators in the country at the appellate level, his clients trust their most complex and contentious IP issues to François’s proven track record of building effective litigation strategies and preparing highly persuasive arguments to be presented in court.
A precedent-setting record backed by 35 years of focused experience in IP litigation
Having practiced exclusively in intellectual property litigation for over three decades, François has argued many cases that have resulted in leading jurisprudence in the fields of patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyright, unfair competition, trade secrets and computer related technology. More than 200 of the cases he has been involved in thus far have been reported in Canada.
François also has a vast amount of experience with extraordinary recourses such as interim or interlocutory injunctions, seizures before judgment, and anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy matters. He has appeared before the Courts of Quebec and the Federal Court of Canada.
Companies ranging from mid-size to large Canadian and foreign corporations seek François’s IP expertise on a regular basis, including:
- Microsoft Corporation
- Bauer Hockey Corp.
- Bell Canada
- Rogers Communications
- The Walt Disney Company
- Air Canada
- Canadian National Railway Company (CN)
- Nobel Biocare USA
- Quadco Equipment Inc.
- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
- Imperial Tobacco Canada Limited (BAT)
- Activision Blizzard
- Chanel SARL
- The Cheesecake Factory
- Parmalat Canada
- Shell Canada Limited
- Süd-Chemie AG
- Shake Shack
François is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee, and chair of the IP Strategy practice.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Les dommages en matière de brevets," Bureaux de l'ABC-Québec, Montreal, May 2012
- "La contrefaçon et ses impacts sur l'économie et les entreprises canadiennes" (co-presenter: Sanjay D. Goorachurn), Congrès annuel du Barreau du Québec, Montreal, May 2009
- "Recent Anti-Piracy Developments in Canada" (panel discussion moderated by Sanro Zlobec), joint Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and the New York State Bar Association summer meeting, Montreal, July 2008
- "Aspects commerciaux et litigieux de la PI reliés aux transactions de fusions et acquisitions et aux licences" (co-presenter: Sanjay D. Goorachurn), Congrès annuel du Barreau du Québec, Mont-Tremblant, QC, June 2007
- "Valoriser et commercialiser les actifs de propriété intellectuelle," Les contrats de cession, Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 2006
- "Aspects of the relationship between employer and employee in copyright : Canada," International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) 42nd World Congress, Paris, France, October 2010
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member, European Communities Trade Mark Association
- Member, International League of Competition Law (LIDC)
- Member, Association des juristes pour le droit de la vigne et du vin
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- "Mock Trial with Oral Testimony" (workshop participant), The Trademarks Practitioner, IPIC-McGill Advanced Trademarks Course, Montreal, August 2010
- "No smoke without fire" (co-author: Ekaterina Tsimberis), Intellectual Property Magazine, June 2015
- "How do design and copyright interact?: Canada" (co-author: Ekaterina Tsimberis), Managing Intellectual Property, December 2012
- "Who owns copyright: employee or employer?" Intellectual Property Magazine, January 2011