Excelling in sophisticated IP strategies to fuel clients’ growth
Kohji has been recognized year-after-year by clients and peers as one of the world’s leading IP law practitioners. He excels in creating sophisticated IP strategies for both top-tier multinational corporations and mid-size innovative companies seeking to accelerate their growth. With 25 years of experience, Kohji skillfully identifies and implements robust and effective offensive and defensive IP strategies.
Strategic perspective informed by broad trademark and patent experience
Kohji’s expertise is diverse, with a current emphasis on trademarks and mechanical patent procurement and strategic enforcement. Earlier in his career, Kohji focused on litigating his clients’ IP rights, including patent and trademark proceedings before the Ontario and Federal Courts. With his wide-reaching, strategic perspective, he successfully manages the IP portfolios of large corporations headquartered in Canada, the United States, Japan and Europe. He also helps smaller, growing companies gain competitive footholds by protecting and strengthening their IP assets.
A firm leader, Kohji is the National Chair of the firm’s Trademark Practice Group.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, International Trademark Association; former member of the Design Rights Subcommittee of the Related Rights Committee (2016-2019); former member of the International Classification Subcommittee of the INTA Harmonization of Trademark Law and Practice Committee
- Registered observer, Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member, Canadian Group of International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- "Supreme Court of Canada strikes down 'promise doctrine' and establishes a new test for patent 'utility'" (co-author: Daphne Lainson), AIPPI Japan Journal, November 2018
- “CANADA: Trademark Trolls on the Rise,” INTA Bulletin, September 15, 2018
- “CANADA: Mark Your Calendars: Canada’s Industrial Design System to be Modernized in November,” INTA Bulletin, August 15, 2018
- “The trolls have arrived: suspicious trademark applications on the rise,” (co-author: Jamie-Lynn Kraft), International Law Office, March 2018
- “Supreme Court of Canada states ‘The Internet has no borders’ in upholding global injunction against Google in online IP infringement case,” AIPPI Japan Journal, February 2018
- “CANADA: Major changes to IP law in early 2019,” AIPPI Japan Journal, April 2017
- “CANADA: Industrial Designs – New changes result in faster, broader and more cost-effective protection,” INTA Bulletin, March 15 2017