Where passion for innovation meets high-tech understanding
For over a decade, Jonas has been providing clients in the technology sector — including start-ups, universities, and multinational companies — with timely patent prosecution and strategic advice tailored to their specific protection needs.
Clients appreciate that Jonas not only shares the same enthusiasm and passion for their innovative ideas, but that his advanced knowledge of physics and computer science allows him to understand their inventions more efficiently and comprehensively.
Creating and protecting value domestically and abroad
Jonas assists clients with obtaining commercially valuable patent protection in Canada and internationally in fields such as telecommunications, computer-implemented inventions, aerospace, medical devices, construction materials, sporting equipment, consumer products, and other computer-related, electrical, and mechanical fields.
Jonas’ exceptional skills and expertise have been recognized by a number of professional accolades. Since 2015 he has been named in The Best Lawyers in Canada under Intellectual Property Law and as a Rising Star by LMG Rising Stars, under Patents . He was also included as one of Canada’s 2015 Rising Stars — Leading Lawyers Under 40 by Lexpert .
Jonas is an Adjunct Professor of law at the University of Victoria, where he has taught patent law since 2013. Jonas has also written extensively within the field of intellectual property law and has been included in publications such as Mondaq, CCCA Members Knowledge Centre, International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, and the Intellectual Property Journal. He is a contributor to British Columbia Business Disputes and Advising British Columbia Businesses by the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Safeguard Your Business and Create Value - Why IP Matters for Technology Companies" (with Matthew Leaper and Kwan Loh), BC Tech Association, Vancouver, March 7, 2019
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Victoria, teaching patent law since 2013
- Chapter Update - "Intellectual Property",
Advising BC Businesses, The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia,
- Chapter Update – "Intellectual Property Disputes", British Columbia Business Disputes, The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2016
- Chapter Update – "Intellectual Property Disputes" (co-author: Timothy Lo),
British Columbia Business Disputes, The
Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2013
- "The Sound Prediction Test in Canada: Where Did it Come From and Where Is it Going?" (co-author: Jeffrey D. Morton),
Intellectual Property Journal, Volume XVI, No. 3 (2012)
- "Pre-existing sound recordings accompanying movies are part of soundtrack," International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, August 13, 2012
- "Marketers Beware: Olympic and Paralympic Rights in Canada" (co-author: Michael D. Manson),
Intellectual Property Journal — Federated Press, Volume XIV, No. 4, 2009