Passion, business insight, and value for clients at every point
Combining more than 25 years of experience across all stages of the trademark life cycle with a keen business mindset, Christian is passionate about helping clients generate ROI and value from strategically-developed IP assets.
Whether it is a local start-up or a large multinational corporation, clients rely on his proven ability to identify, register, develop, strengthen and promote trademark portfolios that evolve in concert with their business objectives. Working in collaboration with his colleagues in patents, transactional and litigation, Christian focuses on building strong portfolios of strategic IP assets that stand the test of time and the rigours of competition.
Exceptional trademark and procurement expertise meets strategic advice
Christian’s trademark practice consists primarily of procurement, oppositions and cancellation proceedings, management, strategic counselling and enforcement.
Highly skilled in trademark portfolio management, Christian selects trademarks with particular value, implements national and international filing and enforcement strategies in accordance with clients' commercial objectives, and sets guidelines for properly promoting, advertising and using trademarks both in-house and externally. The in-depth knowledge and experience ultimately allow the clients that Christian works with to increase the value of their trademark portfolios in Canada and abroad.
Clients also look to Christian for advice on commercial issues and transactions involving trademarks, including the negotiation and drafting of license agreements, international co-existence agreements, IP asset audits, and the preparation and implementation of due diligence investigations. He also regularly handles complex trademark opposition proceedings and appeals from Registrar decisions and assists in litigation strategy and execution.
Recognized by clients and peers for his trademark excellence
Christian is honoured to have been listed in several internationally recognized directories, such as The Canadian Legal LEXPERT®Directory, The Best Lawyers in Canada, Euromoney's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Trademark Law Practitioners, World Trademark Review 1000 – The Definitive Guide to Trademark Legal Service, Who's Who Legal: Trademarks and Who's Who Legal: Canada.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Trademarks between Friends: Key differences in Canadian and U.S. Trademarks practice", (with Graham Hood), Smart & Biggar Webinar, May 19, 2022
- “Strategically navigating French language requirements and leveraging trademarks”, (with Stéphanie Girard), Smart & Biggar Webinar, October 21, 2021
- “New USPTO Rule for Foreign Applicants: Practical Implications”, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, August 15, 2019
- "Trademark Applications: Filing requirements, Madrid and other special applications", IPIC/McGill Summer IP Courses 2021, July 12, 2021
- “CIPO Practice Notices – Understanding What’s New”, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, April 16, 2019
- “Cumulative protection for the shape of a product or its container: specifics and favoured approach”, ALAI presentation, Toronto, June 8, 2018
- “La protection de la forme du produit ou celle de son contenant. Le cumul des protections: Mythe ou réalité”, Rassemblement des praticiens en marques (RPM), January 31, 2018
- “Marque de détaillant apposée sur des produits de tiers : promotion des services ou emploi avec les produits?", Développements récents en droit de la propriété intellectuelle - Québec Bar conference, November 16, 2018
- “The Madrid Protocol: What to Expect”, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, June 15, 2015
- "The Charter of the French Language: The Erosion of the Recognized Trademark Exception," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, January 2013
- "The Madrid Protocol and Singapore Treaty - What Canadian Practitioners Need to Know" (moderator), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, May 2012
- "Trademark Law: Practical Considerations and Global Approach," presentation to members of l'Association du Jeune Barreau de Montréal, February 2012
- "Stratégies gagnantes en droit des marques nord-américains" (co-panelist), panel discussion hosted by the Association des praticiens du droit des marques et des modèles (APRAM), Paris, September 2009
- Utility of trademarks, panel discussion hosted by L'Association des juristes pour l'avancement de la vie artistique (AJAVA), Montreal, June 2009
- "Non-traditional trademarks" (discussion chair), International Trademark Association roundtable, Montreal, March 2009
- Community Trademarks (panelist), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Roadshow, Montreal, November 2008
- "Protection de la propriété intellectuelle" (co-chair), Canadian Institute conference, Montreal, November 2008
- "Clinique du droit canadien et américain" (co-panelist), panel discussion hosted by the Association des praticiens du droit des marques et des modèles (APRAM), Paris, June 2007
- "Protection de l'objet utilitaire par droit d'auteur : mythe ou réalité," Développements récents en propriété intellectuelle, service de la formation continue du Barreau du Québec, Montreal, November 2007
- "Le traitement de la propriété intellectuelle sur Internet : Initiation à la gestion des risques et aux bonnes pratiques," E-Discovery INSIGHT conference, Montreal, November 2006
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada; member of the Continuing Professional Development Committee (2019-2023); past Chair of the International Trademark Issues Committee; Chair of the IPIC-McGill Courses Liaison Committee (2006-2008)
- Member, International Trademark Association; Co-Chair of the North American Global Advisory Council (2022-2023); member of the Legislation and Regulation Committee (2022-2023); Chair of the Legislation and Regulation Canada Subcommittee (2020-2023); member of the International Amicus Committee (2016-2019)
- "Trademark applications: Filing requirements and special types of applications," IPIC-McGill course Understanding Trademarks, Montréal, July 11, 2022
- “A Practice In The Field Of Intellectual Property,” Université Laval, Microbiology Program, Quebec, 1 1/2 hour session, annually since 1996
- "Preparing Trademark Applications and Use and Registrability Opinions," IPIC-McGill course Understanding Trademarks, Montreal, annually since 2004
- "Trademark Filing Strategies" (workshop), IPIC-McGill course Understanding Trademarks, Montreal, annually since 2004
- "Tips and Strategy in Opposition" (workshop), IPIC-McGill course Understanding Trademarks, Montreal, annually since 2004
- "Practical Considerations Regarding Trademarks and Copyrights," École de dessin industriel, Montreal, 2 hour session, annually since 2001
- "No Place on Earth: new IP case maps out why geographical names cannot be registrable trademarks", (co-author: Reagan Seidler), Lexpert Legal Insights, July 18, 2022
- "Third-Party Products and Trademark Use in Canada Explained" (co-author: Olivier Jean-Lévesque), INTA Bulletin, Vol. 75, No. 6, April 1, 2020
- "Développements récents en droit de la propriété intellectuelle" (co-author: Olivier Jean-Lévesque), Éditions Yvon Blais, Volume 449, November 2018
- "Cumul de protection pour la forme d’un produit ou celle de son contenant : particularités canadiennes et approche privilégiée," Revue Francophone de la Propriété Intellectuelle, no. 5, December 2017
- "Canada keeps up with technology" (co-author: Daniel Anthony), INTA Bulletin, August 1, 2017, Vol. 72 No. 13
- "Ten things Europeans should know about Canadian Trade Mark Law," ECTA Special Gazette for the 20th Anniversary of the CTM Regulation, June 2014
- "Design Rights Subcommittee Assists on OHIM’s Search Image Project" (co-author: Bridget Heffernan Labutta), INTA Bulletin, October 15, 2013, Vol. 68, No. 19, p. 7
- "L'emploi d'une marque de service par l'annonce : une approche practique" (co-authors: Guillaume Lavoie Ste-Marie and Oliver Tourangeau), Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle, vol. 24, no. 1, Montreal, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2012
- "Contributory Trade Mark Infringement by internet search engines for selling trade marks as key words: The Canadian perspective" (co-authors: Maxime Hébrard and Émilie Dubreuil), ECTA Gazette, June 2011
- "La reproduction de l'objet utilitaire vis-à-vis le droit d'auteur : un interdit ?" (co-author: Tomek Nishijima), Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle, vol. 20, no. 3, Montreal, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2008