A powerhouse combination of lawyer, patent agent, pharmacist and life sciences star
Combining sought-after expertise as a lawyer, patent agent and registered pharmacist, Alice is a powerhouse in regulatory and marketing/advertising matters, earning acclaim as a “life sciences star” and a “true expert with years of experience” from her clients and peers.
Alice is recognized as one of Canada’s leading regulatory lawyers. She has more than two decades of experience adeptly counselling clients in highly regulated industries like pharmaceutical, cannabis, food, medical devices and cosmetics. Informed by her expertise as a practising pharmacist, Alice has advised many pharmaceutical companies on important issues encompassing biologics, controlled drugs and substances, immunotherapy, orphan drugs, vaccines, OTC drugs and natural health products.
Helping highly regulated companies meet regulatory requirements and maximize opportunities
Alice advises her life sciences clients on a wide range of critical regulatory and healthcare compliance matters. In addition to using her invaluable expertise to help clients navigate federal regulatory matters (including challenging Health Canada decisions) and provincial regulatory matters (including scope of powers for healthcare professionals and insured services), she advises on reimbursement and pricing, product safety (including product recalls) and access to information matters.
In her advertising and marketing practice, Alice helps life sciences companies comply with strict industry regulations while maximizing their efforts in social media initiatives and marketing programs for patients and healthcare professionals, while also navigating privacy and CASL compliance.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Speaker, Advertising & Marketing Law 2019: Social, Digital, Online Compliance, Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, ON, October 3, 2019
- Speaker, Brewers Lectures, Toronto, Ontario, September 5, 2019
- “What Pharmacists Need to Know about Cannabis”, (co-speaker: Gunars Gaikis), Pharmacy Experience Pharmacie (PxP) conference, Toronto, Ontario, June 4, 2019
- "Your choice: Cannabis, risks now for future rewards," (panel discussion), Terroir Symposium, Toronto, Ontario, May 6, 2019
- "101: Cannabis," (panel discussion), Elena's Club, Toronto, Ontario, April 23, 2019
- "Legal Topics in Advertising," (co-speakers: Daniel Anthony, Jamie-Lynn Kraft and Jennifer Ponton), Smart & Biggar in partnership with Ad Standards Canada, Toronto, Ontario, April 9, 2019
- "Understanding Publicly Insured & Uninsured Services – Balancing Patient Access and Choice to Innovation," (panel discussion), Canada’s MedTech Annual Conference, Mississauga, Ontario, April 3, 2019
- "Life Sciences Regulatory Webinar" (co-speakers: Nancy Pei and Abigail Smith), Smart & Biggar webinar, January 2019
- "How the Legalization of Cannabis can affect your Practice," (speaker), ‘Nutshell and Soiree’, Toronto Lawyers Association, Toronto, Ontario, January 2019
- "Front of Pack Labelling," (speaker), GMA 2018 Science Forum, Grocery Manufacturers Association, Washington, DC, March 2018
- "Cultivate Your Cannabis Legal Knowledge," (co-speaker), Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, 11th Annual Conference, Toronto, Ontario, November 2017
- "Compliance with the Canadian Cannabis Industry," (panel discussion), Networking Signature Event, Women Grow, Toronto, Ontario, April 2017
- "Navigating New Waters in International Supply Chains," (co-speaker), GMA 2017 Legal Conference, Grocery Manufacturers Association, San Diego, CA, February 2017
- "Bill C-17," (speaker), Health Canada Regulatory Reforms Summit, Toronto, Ontario, June 2015
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Quoted in the article " Ask the Expert: How to protect intellectual property," The Globe and Mail, January 9, 2020
- Quoted in the article "Highly patentable: how pot companies are staking claims on legal cannabis," The Globe and Mail, April 21, 2019
- Quoted in the article "Buying blind: Cannabis marketing restrictions leave little brand awareness in the new recreational market," The Globe and Mail, April 5, 2019
- Interviewed for "OHIP+ changes begin in April," CityNews, March 20, 2019
- "Cannabis Patent Implications" (co-author: Liu Lei), Lexis Nexis Practice Guide, March 14, 2019
- Quoted in the article "Companies need to be aware of advertising restrictions," Law Times, March 18,2019
- Quoted in the article "Toronto man raises privacy concerns after car dealership employee turns off his dashcams — twice," CBC News, January 11, 2019
- Quoted in the article "The PLN Round-up," Pharma Law News - Getting The Deal Through, June 26, 2018
- Quoted in the article "Pot Ad Rules to be Stricter Than Alcohol Marketing," The Law Times, January 15, 2018
- "Generic Drugs and Biosimilars: Innovator Liability in Canada" (co-authors: Gordon McKee and Jessica Lam), Defense Research Institute, In-House Defence Quarterly, Spring 2017