Trusted advisor helps harness the potential of clients' brands
Jamie-Lynn’s trademark counselling extends beyond protecting brand owners’ valuable IP assets. With a passion for helping businesses grow, Jamie-Lynn advises her clients on strategies to harness the full potential of their brands.
She counsels her clients throughout the trademark lifecycle, including clearance, prosecution, opposition and enforcement. Jamie-Lynn regularly performs trademark clearance searches and provides availability opinions, prepares and files trademark applications, and prosecutes trademark applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. She successfully represents clients in proceedings before the Canadian Trademark Opposition Board.
Jamie-Lynn also provides advice on marketing and advertising law, including guidance relating to product packaging and labelling, advertising campaigns, contests, privacy issues, and publicity rights.
She works with clients in a wide variety of fields, from small- and medium-sized enterprises to multinational corporations, covering all industry areas including fashion, cosmetics, food and beverage, information technology and manufacturing.
Jamie-Lynn is a frequent speaker on topics relevant to brand owners and trademark practitioners.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Digital Marketing & Advertising: The Legal Side of AI, NFTs, Virtual Influencers and Dark Patterns", (co-speaker: Alice Tseng), Smart & Biggar webinar, October 13, 2022.
- “Section 45”, (co-presenter: Tim Bourne), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Trademark Case Law Review Series webinar, April 21, 2022
- "Fast Track your Trademark Applications in Canada: Expediting Canadian Trademark Examination" (with Philip Lapin), Smart & Biggar webinar, April 20, 2022
- "Marketing & Advertising Law in Canada: IP-related issues, and other tips and traps”, (with Alice Tseng), Smart & Biggar webinar, September 28, 2021
- “Branding: a legal guide for business owners”, (webinar), Invest Ottawa, June 16, 2021
- "The Canadian Difference: Exploring the unique issues of designating Canada in Madrid Protocol trademark applications" (with Philip Lapin), Smart & Biggar webinar, May 2021
- “Section 45”, (co-presenter: Tim Bourne), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Trademark Case Law Review Series webinar, March 30, 2021
- "One Year Later – Navigating Canada’s TM Law Changes" (with Kwan T Loh and Philip Lapin), Smart & Biggar webinar, May 2020
- "Branding: a legal guide for business owners," IP Masterclass at Bayview Yards, Ottawa, ON, February 19, 2020
- "Trademark Law Update," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, February 13, 2020
- Jury Member, SoGal Global Pitch Competition, Ottawa, Ontario, November 28, 2019
- "Trademark Case Law Series: Section 45" (co-presenter), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, April 11, 2019
- "Legal Topics in Advertising," (co-speakers: Alice Tseng, Daniel Anthony and Jennifer Ponton), Smart & Biggar in partnership with Ad Standards Canada, Toronto, Ontario, April 9, 2019
- "Trademark Case Law Series: Opposition Issues - Compliance with s. 30" (co-presenter), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, April 20, 2018
- "Trademark Case Law Series: Opposition Issues - Compliance with s. 30" (co-presenter), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, May 5, 2017
- "Trademark Law Update" (moderator), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, February 14, 2017
- "Trademark Law Update" (moderator), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, February 2016
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, International Trademark Association, Indigenous Rights Committee (2022-2023), Rights of Publicity Committee (2020-2021)
- "Changes to Trademark Act will ease disputes on ‘official mark’ status", Canadian Lawyer, September 30, 2022
- "How to expedite examination of your trademark application", Canadian Lawyer, April 20, 2022
- "Practical steps to protecting great entrepreneurial ideas", Ottawa Business Journal,
August 25, 2021
- "Branding Beyond the Basics: Using Trademarks to Create Value", Invest Ottawa Expert Series, March 6, 2019
- "Foreign businesses can keep their marks", Law Times, October 24, 2018
- "It’s Official: Options for Challenging “Official Marks” in Canada", (co-author: Philip Lapin), Best Lawyers, September 30, 2022
- "Branding Beyond the Basics: What Trademark Owners Need to Know", Invest Ottawa, June 20, 2022
- "Privilege and Professional Confidences: An International Review" (co-authors: Jeffrey I. D. Lewis and Steven Garland), Bloomberg Law, September 2020
- "How has Canada's trademark landscape changed and what lies ahead?" (co-author: Kwan Loh), Managing Intellectual Property, July 10, 2020