High-quality patents built to yield commercial value for clients
Focused primarily in the fields of electrical and computer engineering, Jeff works with businesses to draft and prosecute patent applications. He also provides insightful advice to clients on which patenting activities will best support their business objectives, particularly in view of other options such as trade secret protection and defensive publication.
Clients appreciate Jeff’s decisiveness, responsiveness, and overall approach to patents – that quality is more important than quantity. By focusing equally on process and purpose, Jeff produces well-drafted patents with real commercial relevance for his clients.
Domestic and international patent expertise coupled with diverse technical knowledge
Jeff also assists international companies and foreign firms seeking to file for patent protection in Canada, handling the Canadian patent prosecution with accuracy and efficiency. He regularly prosecutes patent applications in both the U.S. and Canadian patent offices, as well as in patent offices overseas through foreign associates, providing practical business-focused advice when the opportunity arises to add strategic value for the client.
Prior to entering the patent profession, Jeff pursued graduate studies in the field of electrical engineering, and he is named as a first author in papers published in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory and IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
Jeff is a senior member of IEEE and Smart & Biggar’s representative on the IPIC Patent Committee, which works to further improve policy and practice within the Canadian Patent Office and also reviews proposed changes to Patent Rules and practice.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "IP Strategy for Software Technology" (webinar), Invest Ottawa, May 4, 2022
- “IP Strategy for Software” (webinar), Invest Ottawa, February 25, 2021
- "Yves Choueifaty v Attorney General of Canada" (with Steven Garland), webinar, Toronto Intellectual Property Group, October 21, 2020
- “IP Strategy for Software” (webinar), Invest Ottawa, May 6, 2020
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- "Software secrets: Start with a clear intellectual property strategy to secure business growth", Ottawa Business Journal, June 15, 2022
- "Patents, trade marks, copyright and designs in Canada: overview" (co-authors: Steven Garland, Sanjay Goorachurn and Daniel Anthony), Thomson Reuters Practical Law, November 2020
- "IP in business transactions: Canada overview" (co-authors: Steven Garland, Sanjay Goorachurn and Daniel Anthony), Thomson Reuters Practical Law, November 2020
- "When do I patent my software-based product or service?", Invest Ottawa (blog), April 29, 2020
- "Patents, trade marks, copyrights and designs in Canada: overview," (co-authors: Steve Garland, Sanjay Goorachurn, Andrea Kroetch) IP in Business Transactions Global Guide 2017, Thomson Reuters, October 2017
- "IP in business transactions: Canada overview," (co-authors: Steve Garland, Sanjay Goorachurn, Andrea Kroetch) IP in Business Transactions Global Guide 2017, Thomson Reuters, October 2017
- "A new generic maximum-likelihood metric expression for space–time block codes with applications to decoding" (co-author: S. Yousefi), IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 54, 2008, pp. 888-894
- "On the ML decoding of quasi-orthogonal space-time block codes via sphere decoding and exhaustive search" (co-author: S. Yousefi), IEEE Transactions of Wireless Communications, vol. 7, 2008, pp. 4088-4093.
- "A new sub-optimal decoder for quasi-orthogonal space-time block codes" (co-author: S. Yousefi), IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 12, 2008, pp. 548-550