Strategic approach uses IP assets to create business value
With a decade of experience counselling clients on the creation, protection and management of IP rights, Patrick has a track record of helping clients secure IP assets that create strategic opportunities. His clients, who range from large multinational corporations to technology start-ups, trust him to bring a pragmatic approach to delivering commercially valuable and cost-effective solutions.
In his practice, Patrick focuses on patent prosecution and strategy, including drafting patent applications and providing patentability, infringement and freedom to operate opinions. Patrick has extensive experience in the power generation, manufacturing, oil and gas and mining fields. In addition, his practice has covered a broad range of technologies including computer hardware and software, telecommunications, aerospace and medical devices.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Patrick gained valuable client perspective as an engineer in the oil and gas and automotive industries.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Managing your organization's IP risk and opportunity" (with Graham Hood), Association for Corporate Counsel-Ontario and Smart & Biggar webinar, November 19, 2020
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Lecturer, “CSC2702: Introduction to Intellectual Property Law,” University of Toronto Faculty of Computer Science, Toronto, 2015-2017.
- "Examining Canada’s flexible and cost-effective approach to patent prosecution" (co-authors: Brigide Mattar and Lei Liu), Managing Intellectual Property, September 28, 2020