Experienced advisor applies sophisticated insights and broad expertise to protect IP assets and resolve disputes
With more than 30 years of diverse IP experience, Alistair offers sophisticated insights that help his clients build, exploit and defend their IP assets. His experience extends over a wide range of industries including companies involved in the telecoms/computer, energy, packaging equipment, injection molding, agricultural equipment and medical device fields.
Licensing guru and patent expert with a keen understanding of client needs
Alistair has wide ranging experience with IP related contracts and has been lauded as a “licensing guru” and patent expert by clients and colleagues. His experience encompasses all areas of IP including procurement, transactions, exploitation, licensing, enforcement and litigation. He also has significant experience with trademark and design protection. During a secondment to a major Canadian hi-tech company, Alistair gained invaluable client perspective while involved with its patent strategy, licensing, exploitation and defence activities.
Alistair draws on his in-depth knowledge to help his clients strengthen their internal procedures to more effectively safe-guard and protect their IP assets. He counsels small to mid-size enterprises, as well as large multinational corporations, in procuring patents and other intellectual property rights, and exploiting their intellectual property assets. He also assists companies in assessing the IP rights of others. His IP related services include: conducting due diligence investigations and freedom to operate studies; providing patent infringement / validity opinions; negotiating and drafting IP related agreements including IP licenses; and developing patent strategies.
Qualified as a lawyer/attorney and patent agent in both Canada and the U.S., Alistair expertly advises Canadian clients with cross-border operations and interests in respect of both U.S. and Canadian patent law.
- Industry Involvement
- "A Review of Patentable Subject Matter Post-Amazon and Post-Alice," presented at the LES Calgary Chapter Meeting, Calgary, December 2014
- "Intellectual Property Due Diligence," Executing Effective Corporate Due Diligence (YLD) program, Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, September 2009
- "Understanding the Importance of IP Rights on an IT Deal," 8th Annual IT Law Spring Training Program, Toronto, May 2008
- Interviewed for and quoted in the Canadian Bar Association's National magazine for a 2008 article dealing with business method patents
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada; member of the Licensing Committee
- Member, New York State Bar Association; member of the Intellectual Property Section and the Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section
- Member, Licensing Executives Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association