Turning highly technical information into a compelling courtroom story
When representing innovative pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies in patent litigation, Urszula offers a unique ability to tell the story behind highly technical inventions in a clear, concise and convincing way before the courts.
Clients benefit from and appreciate the combination of her advanced technical expertise, sharp courtroom advocacy skills and effective long-term strategic planning of their complex litigation matters. Her technical expertise in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, immunology and genetics further empowers Urszula to effectively advise and represent her clients.
IP litigation experience coupled with expertise in regulatory matters
Urszula practices in the field of life sciences including pharmaceuticals and biologics. She regularly represents clients in patent infringement and validity actions, including under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations, before both the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal of Canada.
Her extensive experience and skills in strategic litigation management make Urszula a valued and key member of the litigation team. Most recently, Urszula was a member of the Smart & Biggar team that successfully represented AstraZeneca in its patent infringement action and quantification reference against Apotex: AstraZeneca Canada Inc v Apotex Inc, 2015 FC 322 and 2017 FC 726 (LOSEC, omeprazole).
Urszula also advises clients on regulatory due diligence, regulatory compliance issues and has broad expertise in regulatory matters — including data protection and patent listing — in Canada.
Prior to attending law school, Urszula obtained her Master of Science in biochemistry from the University of Toronto and worked in an immunology research laboratory in Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children.
Urszula is a regular contributor to Rx IP Update, the firm's monthly pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical intellectual property and regulatory newsletter.
- Industry Involvement
- "North of the Border: Overview of Biologics and Biosimilars in Canada" (co-presenter: David Schwartz), webinar, LSPN Connect, November 12, 2020
- Panelist, The 12th Annual Harold G. Fox IP Moot, Toronto, ON, February 21-22, 2020
- "Women and the Law," panel at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law, Toronto, November 2018
- “Top 10 Patent Cases of the Year,” panel at the 7th Annual University of Toronto Patent Colloquium, Toronto, November 2018
- "Analyzing the Latest Developments in the Law to Identify Emerging Trends, Opportunities and Threats" (co-authors: G. Gaikis, A. Mandlsohn and J. Scopa), presented at the 8th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents, October 2009
- "Selecting the Right Expert" (co-author: N. Pei), presented to the CBA's Advocacy Before the Federal Court in Intellectual Property Matters, May 2008
- "The Interaction Between Competition Law and Intellectual Property Rights" (co-author: G. Gaikis), presented at Insight Information's Drug Patents and Legal Forum, February 2008
- "Authorized Generic Pharmaceutical Products" (co-authors: G. Gaikis and J. Sutton), presented at the Canadian Insitute's 6th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents - The Legal & Strategic Guide, October 2007
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada; member of the Competition Law Committee; member of the Women in IP Network
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Member, The Advocates' Society