Clear, practical and efficient solutions to the most complex and interesting IP issues
Specializing in all aspects of trademark and copyright law, Daniel has a talent for connecting with clients and bringing clarity and efficiency to their most complex issues.
In his IP law practice, Daniel regularly advises clients, ranging from SMEs to fortune 500 companies, in the areas of trademarks and copyright law, including registration, strategic management, ownership and control, licensing and enforcement.
He is also one of Canada’s leading experts in intellectual property issues relating to the Internet, social media and domain names and is sought out for his success in removing infringing content from the Internet quickly and efficiently, regardless of jurisdiction.
Trusted advice and representation covering a broad range of IP issues
Daniel has 15 years’ experience as a litigator, including cases involving trademarks, copyright and domain names. He has appeared as counsel before the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal and Ontario Superior Court.
He handles the clearance, prosecution and registration of hundreds of trademarks, and successfully represents clients in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademarks Office. Daniel has been published extensively, is regularly called on as a speaker within the profession and has been interviewed as a legal expert by the media, both for live radio and in print. Daniel is a contributor and editor of IP Update — Canada, the firm's intellectual property law bulletin.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "IP strategy from bricks to clicks: Protecting IP online", (webinar), Invest Ottawa, June 17, 2020
- "What every in-house counsel needs to know about Intellectual Property law" (with Philip Lapin and Lionel Fishman), Association for Corporate Counsel-Ontario and Smart & Biggar webinar, May 2020
- "Legal Topics in Advertising," (co-speakers: Alice Tseng, Jamie-Lynn Kraft and Jennifer Ponton), Smart & Biggar in partnership with Ad Standards Canada, Toronto, Ontario, April 9, 2019
- "Canadian Copyright Law" (speaker), AUTM 2017 Canadian Meeting & Directors’ Forum, Montreal, June 27, 2017
- “Trademark Agent Tutorials” (speaker), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada two-part webinar, September 1 and 2, 2015
- "Enforcing Trademarks and Copyright Online: Strategies and Pitfalls" (speaker), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, November 27, 2014
- "Your First Judicial Review" (panellist), professional development conference for the Ontario Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Toronto, May 7, 2013
- "The Basics of Law: Contracts" (speaker), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada two-part webinar, Ottawa, April 11 and 18, 2013
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada; Vice-chair of the Internet Committee; past member of the International Trademark Issues Committee; past member of the Litigation Committee
- Member, International Trademark Association; member of the Internet Committee (2018-2021)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- “Copyright Law in the Entertainment Industry – A Canadian Perspective” - Guest Lecture at UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles), February 15, 2016
- “Trademark Agent Tutorials” IPIC course – preparing and grading a mock exam in preparation for the Trademark Agent Qualifying Examination, July 2015
- “Harold G. Fox Moot” – Coaching judge for University of Ottawa team, which won best mooting team and best oral advocate, February 2015
- PrecedentJD print interview – "Meet three lawyers who love living and working in Ottawa", August 28, 2018
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) radio interview - “Owning an Idea”, March 18, 2016
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) radio interview - “ La Cour suprême entendra l’appel de Google sur une injonction”, February 18, 2016
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) print interview – “Fine Brothers abandon 'react' trademark attempt after sparking online outrage”, February 3, 2016
- Law Times print interview regarding rare jail sentence in trademark case – “Jail time for store owner in trademark battle” – February 1, 2016
- "Canada keeps up with technology," INTA Bulletin, August 1, 2017, Vol. 72 No. 13
- "Canada: PROZAC tablet not registrable" (co-author: Gunars Gaikis), Law Lore & Practice, September 2006
- "A Shift on the Horizon: The Conspiracy of Assignment" (co-author: Steven B. Garland), Patent World, May 2006