Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh achieves dominant results in iam Patent 1000 — The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
In the 2013 edition of iam Patent 1000 — The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is the most highly celebrated Canadian firm in the rankings and is called “phenomenal in every discipline of intellectual property.”
In addition to being ranked in the gold band of litigation and licensing firms, listed as one of the most highly recommended firms for patent prosecution, and having more professionals singled out for mention than any other Canadian firm listed, Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh was identified as being among Canada’s “shining examples of IP-centric outfits.”
Eleven of our professionals were mentioned in the guide with each being lauded for individual contributions to the firm’s overall success.
Recommended for licensing:
- John Bochnovic, a “master tactician” in licensing and monetisation
- Sanjay D. Goorachurn, a “veteran expert” in strategic portfolio management
- Alistair G. Simpson, who is ”a pleasure to work with, conscientious in his approach and wholly trustworthy”
- Ted W. Sum, mentioned for his “accrued wisdom” in the fields of high-technology, software and energy
Recommended for litigation:
- François Guay, who appears in the gold band and is said to be “easily among the top lawyers in Quebec”
- Gunars A. Gaikis, “the darling of pharmaceutical innovators” who “has a stranglehold on the market”
- Steven B. Garland, who “catches everyone’s eye with his professionalism” and “offers a real challenge in court”
- J. Sheldon Hamilton, who “adopts an intelligent and understated approach to conflicts that is very successful”
Recommended for prosecution:
- John W. Knox, a “stand-out” professional in Vancouver
- J. Christopher Robinson, “remarkable” in managing patent procurement in life sciences
- Matthew Zischka, “top of the heap” in high-technology patent work
The IAM Patent 1000 is compiled following an extensive research process conducted over five months and involving close to 1,500 telephone interviews with attorneys at law, patent attorneys and in-house counsel. Only those individuals identified by market sources for their exceptional skill sets and profound insights into patent matters are featured in the guide. Firms qualify for a listing on the basis of their depth of expertise, market presence and the level of work on which they are typically engaged.
We are extremely proud of the recognition received by our firm and our practitioners in this year’s guide.