Exceptional senior patent and IP strategist adds heft to clients’ competitive market positions
Recognized as an exceptional senior patent and IP strategist, Stephan is the architect of hundreds of patents which have significantly boosted his clients’ competitive market position. Many of those patents have been the subject of legal enforcement proceedings in Canada leading to significant commercial wins for clients. During his more than twenty-five year IP career, Stephen has honed his business-focused, commercially relevant approach to strategic patent portfolio design and procurement, earning the trust of his diverse clients.
Insightful, proactive client counsel on complex patent issues
Stephan advises clients ranging from start-ups to large multinational corporations on patents with an emphasis on prosecution, client counselling, and patent portfolio growth and utilization. Known for his proactive focus on client needs, Stephan counsels his clients at every product development stage on any patent protection and commercialization opportunities, and analyzes competitor patent portfolios to identify risks. He also regularly coordinates the preparation of market clearance, validity and patentability opinions and successfully leads complex Patent Office proceedings such as patent appeals and re-examinations.
Clients considering transformative business changes approach Stephan for his expert insights. He participates in due-diligence investigations and conducts analyses to assess the strength of a patent portfolio and potential patent infringement risks during investment, technology acquisition or business sale transactions.
Diverse expertise in the electronics and mechanical fields
Stephan's expertise is wide-ranging and includes diverse technologies in the electronics and mechanical fields with a focus on business methods, consumer products, software and user interfaces, electronics (x-ray image analysis, speech recognition, data transmission and routing, wireless technologies, speech and video coding, and echo cancellation), and mechanical devices, including railway technologies.
- Industry Involvement
- "La gestion de la propriété intellectuelle et les temps de crise" (co-presenter: Brigide Mattar), PÔLE Québec-Chaudière Appalaches, Quebec City, April 2010
- Presentation as part of the Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies, Faculty of Management, McGill University (co-presenter: Sanjay D. Goorachurn), Montreal, March 2007
- "Managing the Small Business Enterprise" (co-presenter: Sanjay D. Goorachurn), Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies, Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, January 2007
- "Intellectual Property Management" (co-presenter: Sanjay D. Goorachurn), Managing the Small Business Enterprise course, Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies, Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, January 2006
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)