Client-focused IP litigation with pharmaceutical expertise
Ryan is a dedicated IP litigator, with a practice focused in the pharmaceutical sector. Ryan draws on his diverse background in scientific research, financial services, healthcare, and business consulting to assist in developing strategic IP solutions to meet his clients’ needs.
During his legal studies, Ryan served as a research assistant to Professor D’Agostino, where he led a team to develop an IP chatbot. He served as a Clinic Coordinator for the Innovation Clinic, providing IP information and assistance to Canadian inventors. He participated in the IP intensive program at Osgoode, completing his placement at Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada. Following his placement, he was hired back as a Junior Policy Analyst (2021).
IP litigator leveraging life sciences expertise to protect IP rights
In 2021, Ryan graduated from law school having received the IP Osgoode David Vaver Medal for Excellence in Intellectual Property Law, awarded to a student in the graduating class who merits special recognition for outstanding achievement in the area of IP law or policy. He also received the Best Blog in IP Law and Technology Prize and the Student Honour Award for outstanding contribution to student activities. He is currently the Senior Editor of Carswell’s Intellectual Property Journal.
Prior to entering law school, Ryan completed his B.M.Sc. with a specialization in Medical Sciences, and his M.Sc., in Anatomy and Cell Biology (Neuroscience) at Western University. Ryan was a summer student in Smart & Biggar’s Toronto office in 2020 and returned as an articling student in 2021-2022.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- “AI for the Future of Legal Practice – Self-Regulation, Access to Justice and the Importance of Legal Data”, (co-panellists: Jonathon Penney, Sari Graben, Pina D’Agostino, Nye Thomas), Bracing For Impact Conference, IP Osgoode, November 9, 2022
- ChatBot Demo at IP Innovation Clinic Chat Bot Launch Event, IP Osgoode, January 29, 2021
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Senior Editor, Carswell’s Intellectual Property Journal
- "Health Canada paving the way for more AI/ML medical devices" (co-author: Alice Tseng), Electronic Healthcare Law Review, Vol. 11, No. 3, February 2022
- "Health Canada paving the way for more AI/ML medical devices" (co-author: Alice Tseng), Risk Management in Canadian Health Care, Vol. 24, No. 1, February 2022
- "Assessing the Effects of Acute Amyloid β Oligomer Exposure in the Rat" (co-authors: David F. Cechetto and Shawn N. Whitehead), International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Aug 24, 2016
- "Evaluating the pathological and behavioural consequences of injecting amyloid beta oligomers in the rat", Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Repository, Western University, 2015