Strategic IP advisor helps clients succeed in the U.S. and other jurisdictions
A commercially-savvy strategic advisor, Ron guides Canadian innovators as they expand into the U.S. and around the world. With over thirty years of international patent procurement experience, Ron advises growing electrical and mechanical clients on maximizing their IP portfolio and rights while mitigating cross-border risks. Ron uses his in-depth understanding, gleaned from working with Canadian companies on the world stage, to counsel his clients on approaches to prosecution that minimize issues in the U.S. with file history estoppel and inequitable conduct.
“Electronics sage” and trusted business partner
Ron is a trusted partner for many innovative Canadian businesses. Clients recognize Ron as an “electronics sage” and an “electrical and mechanical arts buff.” He has in-depth understanding of a wide breadth of technologies including telecommunications, robotics, computer systems, optics, production line equipment and mechanical control systems. He has also gained considerable experience in crafting patent licences.
Thought leader, industry leader
As a well-respected thought leader, Ron has written and lectured on various topics, including the protection of computer-related discoveries, and the law and practice relating to patents and industrial designs. He is active in the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and is a past Chair of its Patent Legislation Committee. Ron is also the past Chair of the firm’s Executive Committee.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "What Firm Management Sweats About” (panel participant), the Business of Intellectual Property Forum organized by the Canadian Institute, October 2015
- "Business Method Patents: Coming of Age," organized by LEXPERT Magazine, Toronto, November 2012
- Presentation on Canadian Patent Law and Practice to Chinese business at the MIP China-International IP Forum 2011 in Beijing
- Presentation at the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada’s Advanced Patent Claim Drafting Session for IT Practitioners, Ottawa, June 2008
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada; member of the Patent Legislation Committee
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Member, Editorial Board of World IP Review
- "Patenting computer-related inventions: the Canadian spin" (co-author: Neil Padgett); World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), February 23, 2016
- "Can a novel business method be patented? The Amazon decision," CCCA Magazine, Spring 2012, page 3
- "Federal Court of Appeal affirms that business methods may be patentable," International Law Office Intellectual Property Newsletter, January 9, 2012