Experienced IP strategist & chemical engineer blends technical expertise with client focus
As an accomplished chemical engineer prior to transitioning to patent law, Robert applies his industry knowledge and first-hand understanding of his client’s needs, issues and opportunities to develop and implement effective intellectual property strategies. Robert’s technical expertise and attentive, responsive approach has earned the trust of his clients in the chemical, oil and gas, and pharmaceutical industries.
Broad IP experience in Canada and the U.S.
Robert counsels innovative Canadian and U.S.-based companies in all areas of IP including patents, trademarks and IP transactions. His broad experience developing and implementing intellectual property strategies includes:
- Strategic portfolio development based on comprehensive competitor patent landscape studies
- Right-To-Practice/Clearance studies in connection with product development, corporate transactions (M&A) and new market exploration
- Invalidity and non-infringement studies
- Patent preparation and patent procurement
- Technology transactions and licensing
Inspired to move from chemical engineering to IP law
Robert has significant experience having worked as a private practice attorney in Minnesota and Texas and also having served as in-house IP counsel at a major chemical firm based in Houston, Texas for over 10 years. Before beginning his legal career, Robert worked as a chemical engineer at Ross Products Division Abbott Laboratories where he was responsible for developing, scaling-up and optimizing processes for the production of pharmaceutical active ingredients and medical and nutritional products. He was inspired to transition into IP law while working closely with patent attorneys on implementing and protecting new and redesigned existing processes.
- “Managing an IP Portfolio for in-house Counsel” (moderator), Association of Corporate Council-Alberta, Calgary, AB, November 21, 2019