Strategic advisor adds value to highly complex patent applications
Highly skilled in all aspects of patent counselling, Matthew generates value for his clients primarily within the computer, electrical, and mechanical arts. With expertise in numerous technical areas, Matthew is entrusted by Canadian and international clients to support the acquisition and development of new technologies by advising on patentability and portfolio strategy. He also routinely advises clients on strategies to more effectively manage risk by conducting infringement analyses, preparing validity opinions, and drafting agreements on the assignment, licensing and transfer of protected technologies.
Experience drafting and prosecuting hundreds of applications
Matthew draws on his experience in both Canadian and U.S. patent law and architectural engineering to successfully draft and prosecute hundreds of patent applications around the world, and across a wide range of technologies including: diagnostic sensors, energy efficiency technologies, laser technologies and applications, manufacturing methods, medical devices and implants, non-invasive surgical technologies, and software applications, including artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Prior to joining Smart & Biggar, Matthew gained invaluable legal experience with associate-level roles with two intellectual property law firms on the U.S. East Coast and as a law clerk for the City of Philadelphia. He also has legal experience supporting technology start-ups.
- Speaker, Vancouver Film & Tech Expo, Vancouver, BC, August 10, 2019
- "Capital Raising and Funding Your Project 101. Show me the Money!" (Speaker), My Internet StartUps, Vancouver, BC, May 29, 2019
- "Protecting Hardware Innovations," (Presenter), VIATEC and Victoria Hardware Start-ups, Vancouver, BC, April 11, 2019
- "Safeguard Your Business and Create Value - Why IP Matters for Technology Companies" (with Jonas Gifford and Kwan Loh), BC Tech Association, Vancouver, March 7, 2019
- “Grow Your Assets - Intellectual Property for the Cannabis Industry” (with Mark Pidkowich), ‘Grow Your Assets’ conference, February 2019
- “Building Legal Monopolies in Software,” (Presenter) VIATEC, November 15, 2018
- “Strategies for Quickly and Efficiently Achieving Patent Allowance at the USPTO,” (Presenter) USPPG, October 9, 2018
- “Getting to the Goalpost: Achieving Patent Allowance in the United States and Canada Quickly and Efficiently,” (Presenter) Dutch Platform for Formalities Officers, September 27, 2018
- “Patents: From Inception to Protection,” (Presenter) VIATEC, September 20, 2018
- “The Patent Eligibility of Behavior-based Computer Virus Scanning after Finjan,” (Presenter) USPPG, February 13, 2018
- “Berkheimer v. HP: A New Hope,” (Presenter) USPPG, February 13, 2018
- "When Good Lawyers Go Bad: Common Ethics Mistakes By IP Practitioners," (Facilitator) AIPF, June 20, 2017
- "Nuances of North American Patent Law," (Mediator) AIPF, April 12, 2017