Strategic advisor leverages patents and other intellectual property to achieve business goals
With a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses, Martin generates and uses IP assets, notably patents, to create business value for them. Harnessing more than 15 years of IP experience, he focuses on leveraging patents and other IP assets to support our clients’ growth and business objectives in an effective way.
As a trusted advisor, Martin counsels clients on strategic patenting and mitigation of IP-related risks, provides value-adding IP due diligence and expertise in transactions such as M&As, licenses and investments, and is involved in patent litigation such as to enforce and protect our clients’ exclusive rights.
Versatile with a diverse client base
Martin develops and manages patent portfolios, assesses patented technologies, know-how and trade secrets, and other intangible assets in audits and due diligence, and advises on IP matters in a variety of areas, including consumer goods, vehicles, industrial equipment, manufacturing, smart products, telecommunications, and information technology.
Martin’s clients include innovative Canadian companies and multinationals in the United States and Europe. He also regularly works with foreign associates to assist them and their clients with procuring patent protection within Canada.
- Industry Involvement
- "Panel - Alternative Patent Leveraging", Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) Summer IP Courses 2023, July 21, 2023
- “Best Practices for Building a Patent Portfolio”, (co-presenter: Jean-Christophe Paquette), Smart & Biggar Webinar, April 27, 2022
- “Intellectual Property for Growth – Understanding the Business Value of IP”, (co-presenter: Brigide Mattar), BDC Capital Women in Technology Venture Fund and Smart & Biggar Webinar, March 17, 2021
- "La propriété intellectuelle et le « look and feel » de produits électroniques" (co-presenter: Brigide Mattar), Association des manufacturiers en électronique de Québec, March 2010
- "La propriété intellectuelle: un survol," School of Industrial Design of the Université de Montréal, April 2008
- "Créer et maximiser un portefeuille de PI à valeur ajoutée" (co-presenter: Brigide Mattar), Parc Technologique du Québec Métropolitain, March 2008; Association des manufacturiers en électronique de Québec, November 2008
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada