Keltie retired from practice at the end of 2019. Clients and associates of the IP bar can reach out to Mark Evans with new enquiries.
Collaborative approach and trademark procurement expertise earns trust of clients and international recognition
Keltie’s unparalleled expertise in trademark procurement and her inclusive, collaborative approach have earned the trust of clients and, year-after-year, international recognition as a leader in IP law. Among her leadership roles, Keltie heads the firm’s Marketing & Advertising practice, enabling clients to maximize the value of their efforts while complying with Canadian regulations. Keltie is the firm’s Chair, the Chief Inclusion Officer and a member of the Canadian Law Firm Diversity & Inclusion Network.
Leading the Marketing & Advertising practice
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for IP law since 2011, Keltie is known for her communication skills and client responsiveness. She has a superior understanding of all aspects of the trademark procurement process, including providing availability and infringement opinions; filing and prosecuting applications; handling trademark oppositions, cancellations and enforcement matters; managing portfolios; and drafting and reviewing licensing, co-existence, joint venture and settlement agreements. Currently, Keltie leads the Marketing & Advertising practice, which focuses on Canadian product marking and labeling, assessment of advertising claims and advice regarding product promotion, e-commerce and social media campaigns.
An exceptional career of diverse experience and recognition
Throughout her exceptional career, Keltie has advised a diverse range of clients in pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals, food manufacturing and distribution, personal care, financial services, clothing, publishing, industrial manufacturing and construction on domestic and international clearance, prosecution, portfolio management, acquisition and licensing of trademarks.
Among her many recognitions, Keltie has been spotlighted as an 'IP Star' for Trademark & Copyright by Managing Intellectual Property since 2014 and Who's Who Legal: Trademarks since 2009. Keltie is a Fellow of IPIC, member of INTA, member of MARQUES and a member of their Regulatory Team. In her 2018 recognition in Expert Guides: Women in Business Law, Keltie is noted for her “expertise and [the] quality of her work.”
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Brand Owners and Counsel: Strategies for Navigating Canada's Trademark Changes" (with Mark Evans, Philip Lapin and Andrea Kroetch), Webinar Series, October 25, 2018
- "Internal Affairs — An update on trademark marketing and licensing issues," panel discussion at the MARQUES Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 2010
- "Brands In and Out of the Box: Who Handles Your Trademark Work?" panel discussion at the MARQUES Annual Conference, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, September 2008
- "Analyzing, Interpreting and Reporting on Trademark Searches," Thomson CompuMark Trademarks and the Internet Forum, Toronto, November 2007
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Association of European Trademark Owners (MARQUES); member of the MARQUES Programming Team
- Past member and trustee, Licensing Executives Society
- "Canadian Trademark Law: Prepare for Change," (co-author: Mark Evans), CCCA Magazine, Winter 2015
- "How to take advantage of changes to trade mark filing" (co-author: Philip Lapin), Managing Intellectual Property, September 2014
- "Choosing a Winning Brand Name in Canada," Executive Counsel, June-July 2011
- "Trademark Registration in Canada: The Thorny Issue of Use," INTA Trademark Reporter, November-December 2010, Volume 100
- "Overcoming Canada’s Registration Hurdle," World Trademark Review, February/March 2009, Issue 17
- "The Canadian Regime for Protecting Against Pharmaceutical Trademark Confusion and Mistakes,"
INTA Trademark Reporter, September/October 2008, Volume 98
- "Geographic Indications," The Lawyer’s Weekly, November 2008, Volume 28, No. 18
- "Canada Publishes New Rules and Procedures for Opposition Proceedings," INTA Bulletin, November 1, 2007, Volume 62, No. 20
- "Canadian Government Announces Bill to Protect Olympic Symbols," INTA Bulletin, July 1, 2007, Volume 62, No. 12
- "Opposition Board Decision Reinforces Importance of Marketplace Evidence in Canada," INTA Bulletin, June 15, 2007, Volume 62, No. 11
- "Protecting Colour Trademarks in Canada," The Lawyer's Weekly, April 16, 2004
- "Branding for the Youth Market," The Lawyer's Weekly, April 16, 2004
- "Protecting Colour Trademarks," International Law Office Newsletter, June 7, 2004
- "Protecting Colour Marks in Canada," INTA Trademark Reporter, July/August 2004, Volume 94
- "The Relevant Date for Determining the Issue of Confusion in Trade Mark Oppositions," Patent and Trademark Institute of Canada Review, 1987, Volume 4, No. 1