Patent protection supported by an in-depth knowledge of life sciences
Iasha Chaudhry began her career in genomics research. Working with mutant strains of Caenorhabditis elegans at the Life Sciences Institute of the University of British Columbia she gained first-hand experience in a wide range of molecular-genetic applications and techniques. More recently, her work involved optimizing in vivo genome editing using CRISPR technology. Her prior involvement in medical research informs her current practice in patent preparation and prosecution in the biological and chemical sciences.
Iasha assists clients with drafting and reviewing IP-related transactional agreements and policies. She also has experience with trademark procurement and enforcement. During time spent in the U.S., Iasha worked in the IP group at the University of Washington’s technology transfer office. There, she expanded her experience to include U.S. patent and trademark practices.
In law school, Iasha was a member of the Intellectual Property Law Society and treasurer and vice president of the Asian American Law Students’ Association. She received and maintained a foundation scholarship and graduated with Dean’s honours. She has been published in several peer-reviewed journals.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Life Sciences British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- “The Million Mutation Project: a new approach to genetics in Caenorhabditis elegans” (co-authors: Thompson O, Edgley M, Strasbourger P, Flibotte S, Ewing B, Adair R, Au V, Chaudhry I, Fernando L, Hutter H, Kieffer A, Lau J, Lee N, Miller A, Raymant G, Shen B, Shendure J, Taylor J, Turner EH, Hillier LW, Moerman DG, and Waterston RH) Genome Research, 23(10): 1749-62, October 2013
- “Large-scale screening for targeted knockouts in the Caenorhabditis elegans genome” (co-authors: C.elegans Deletion Mutant Consortium) G3: Genes Genomes Genetics, 2(11): 1415-25, November 2012
- “Whole-genome profiling of mutagenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans” (co-authors: Stephane Flibotte, Mark L. Edgley, Iasha Chaudhry, Jon Taylor, Sarah E. Neil, Aleksandra Rogula, Rick Zapf, Martin Hirst, Yaron Butterfield, Steven J. Jones, Marco A. Marra, Robert J. Barstead and Donald G. Moerman) Genetics, 185(2): 431-41, June 2010
- “An integrated strategy to study muscle development and myofilament structure in Caenorhabditis elegans” (co-authors: Meissner B, Warner A, Wong K, Dube N, Lorch A, McKay SJ, Khattra J, Rogalski T, Somasiri A, Chaudhry I, Fox RM, Miller DM 3rd, Baillie DL, Holt RA, Jones SJ, Marra MA, and Moerman DG), PLoS Genetics, 5(6), June 2009