Mitch Charness is a Counsel in the firm’s Ottawa office. His practice covers patents, trademarks, licensing and litigation. Prior to joining private practice in 1995, he clerked with the Federal Court of Canada from 1993 to 1994.
Mitch has received many awards for his outstanding academic achievements, including the J. Edward Maybee award for highest standing on the Patent Agent Qualifying Examinations, and the Law Society of Upper Canada Silver Medal for second highest standing in the Bar Admissions Course.
Mitch is a frequent speaker on intellectual property topics for various organizations. He also serves as a part-time Professor at the University of Ottawa Law School, teaching a course in Advanced Trademarks law.
- Industry Involvement
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada — IPIC
- Canadian Bar Association — CBA
- Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada) — LES (Past Trustee; Canadian Working Group on Substantive Patent Law Harmonization)
- Great Canadian Theatre Company — GCTC (Past Chair of the Board)
- Jewish Family Services of Ottawa — JFS Ottawa (Past Chair of the Board)