Female founders ‘Deconstruct Wellness’ at Invest Ottawa’s International Womxn’s Week
On Thursday, March 5, 2020, Smart & Biggar, in partnership with Invest Ottawa, hosted “Deconstructing Wellness”, a breakfast and panel discussion as part of International Womxn’s Week and the f2 event series. A panel of local experts and small business owners gathered for a conversation about what it means to employ ‘wellness’ in life and in business.
Our panel and event attendees explored wellness through a holistic lens, addressing stereotypes and breaking down the elements involved in maintaining financial, physical and emotional well-being.
Susan Richards, Managing Partner of Numbercrunch and Co-Chair of the Board of Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards, opened the event by sharing her own experience of maintaining balance and health as an entrepreneur, sharing tips on how she keeps herself grounded daily.
Included in the panel were financial expert, Michelle Martin, lead engagement associate at BDO; Ro Nwosu, owner of Movement Yoga and Fitness Studio; Janet Seto, social architect and consultant, and; Jen Wright, owner of Whole Therapy Ottawa. Jamie-Lynn Kraft, senior associate in Smart & Biggar’s Ottawa office, moderated the discussion.
Top Tips from the panel:
- It’s okay to like to work – relieve yourself of that guilt
- Practice saying ‘no’ and setting boundaries
- It’s important to practice what you preach and be consistent in supporting your business values
- Take advantage of free resources like counselling, meditation classes, business support groups, workshops etc.
- Keep on top of your paperwork, business plan and numbers. If you can hire a good accountant and a good lawyer to relieve that stress, then do it!
Thank you to our panelists, attendees, Invest Ottawa, Tease Teas for supporting the event and thank you to Kamara Morozuk, of Matthew Liteplo photography, for capturing the morning beautifully.
Photos are available to view here: