Skilled litigator offers strategic solutions and extensive dispute resolution experience
A skilled intellectual property litigator, Laura has a talent for finding practical solutions to complex problems. Laura’s intellectual property litigation practice is focused primarily on patent, trademark and copyright litigation, together with litigation surrounding misappropriation of confidential information or trade secrets. Laura also advises clients with respect to the protection of their intellectual property in the employment context.
Laura has appeared before the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, all levels of the Alberta courts, the British Columbia Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Canada. She has also appeared before the Alberta Surface Rights Board, and has represented clients in private arbitration.
Laura is highly knowledgeable in all aspects of litigation, including drafting court materials, preparing witnesses for examination and cross-examination, and representing clients before the courts.
Industry understanding informs strategic solutions
Laura counsels Canadian and international clients on intellectual property matters across a broad range of industries, with a particular emphasis in oil and gas. Laura focuses on understanding her clients’ respective businesses and industries in order to create strategies tailored to best serve her clients’ individualized needs.
Before joining Smart & Biggar, Laura practiced in the Calgary litigation group of a large global law firm, where she had a broad civil litigation practice with an emphasis on commercial litigation, oil and gas, and employment law. Her diverse litigation experience helps her assess her clients’ IP concerns within the context of the industry, the market and the larger business picture.
Laura obtained a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Civil Law from the bilingual law program at McGill University in Montréal.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Strategies for in-house counsel to manage intellectual property risk and opportunity" (with Evan Nuttall, Jonas Gifford and Kwan T. Loh), Association for Corporate Counsel-Alberta and Smart & Biggar webinar, November 26, 2020
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member-At-Large, Canadian Bar Association (CBA) National Intellectual Property (IP) Section Executive
- Young Women in Energy
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Calgary Bar Association
- “Canada: Patent Litigation” (co-authors: Steven Garland and Jeremy Want), The Legal 500: Patent Litigation Country Comparative Guide, November 2019