Empowering global brand owners with expertise in trademarks, copyright and IP litigation
As an accomplished lawyer, Olivier integrates legal expertise with a business-oriented mindset and focuses on a wide range of IP and technology law issues. He provides clients with practical and sophisticated advice for brand protection, use and enforcement, and strategic IP counselling.
Olivier brings a wealth of expertise in all aspects of trademarks and a broad range of IP-related services to both domestic and international clients. His practice includes assisting clients with selection, clearance, prosecution, opposition proceedings, use, cancellation and litigation proceedings. With a proven track record in navigating the intricate landscape of IP law, he is dedicated to leveraging the value of IP and gaining a sustained competitive advantage for his clients.
Olivier holds in-depth knowledge and expertise in food, wine and beverage law. He regularly engages in complex issues such as the protection of renowned geographical indications (appellations d’origine controlee) and frequently shares his insights as a speaker at conferences on this subject.
To complement his legal expertise, Olivier recently completed a master’s degree in Strategic Entrepreneurship and Innovation in London, UK. This strategic foundation enables him to see the bigger picture, understand the realities of innovators and entrepreneurs, and approach IP law from a multidimensional angle. Olivier is committed to bridging the gap between law and business, unlocking the true potential of IP by strategically integrating it into the broader business landscape. He offers clients not only the legal know-how but also the business acumen required to make informed decisions that safeguard their IP assets.
During his studies at King's College London, Olivier graduated at the top of his class (Awarded Best Overall Performance) and his dissertation, focused on “The Role of Intellectual Property in Venture Capital Funding”, was honoured with the Best Dissertation Award.
Prior to joining the firm, Olivier gained additional insights as a member of the in-house legal departments at two major pharmaceutical companies. During his studies in law, Olivier excelled as a speaker, ranking 1st in two separate public speaking competitions. Olivier also sharpened his skills in copyrights and privacy in Canada as a research assistant to Professor Georges Azzaria.
- In the Media
- "Intellectual Property for Business - An Introduction to IP", (co-presenters: Brigide Mattar, Jean-Christophe Paquette), Smart & Biggar webinar, March 16, 2022
- "Comprendre et naviguer les indications géographiques", RPM (Regroupement des Practiciens en Marques de commerce) video conference, October 21, 2021
- “Location Matters: Understanding geographical indications and other indicators of origin in a Canadian context”, (with Ekaterina Tsimberis), Smart & Biggar Webinar, September 16, 2021
- “Global Wine Law - An AIDV Guide: Canadian chapter,” (co-author: Ekaterina Tsimberis), International Association of lawyers for Vine and Wine Law, February, 2021
- "Survol pratique des recours extraordinaires en matière de droit d’auteur au Canada" (co-author : Guillaume Lavoie Ste-Marie), Développements récents en droit de la propriété intellectuelle, Éditions Yvon Blais, Vol. 484, November 2020
- "Third-Party Products and Trademark Use in Canada Explained" (co-author: Christian Bolduc), INTA Bulletin, Vol. 75, No. 6, April 1, 2020
- "Développements récents en droit de la propriété intellectuelle" (co-author: Christian Bolduc), Éditions Yvon Blais, Volume 449, November 2018
- "Au-delà de la lutte anti-contrefaçon : effets pratiques de l’amendement à l’article 20 de la Loi sur les marques de commerce" (co-author: Guillaume Lavoie Ste-Marie), Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle, vol. 30, no. 1, Montreal, Éditions Yvon Blais, January 2018