Patent lawyer and agent with diverse technical expertise
Lionel offers practical and strategic counsel on all issues related to developing, securing, utilizing and enforcing intellectual property rights in Canada, with a particular focus on patent and design rights.
Helping clients create value from patent and industrial design innovations
Informed by his varied engineering experience and legal training, Lionel understands the challenges that innovative clients face. Lionel’s technical expertise is primarily in the mechanical engineering and electro-mechanical fields.
He advises Canadian companies of all sizes and from a wide range of sectors, assisting them in extracting the maximum value from their inventions and novel designs. Lionel also counsels international clients seeking to file for and prosecute patents and industrial designs in Canada. His client base includes top-tier multinational companies from the U.S., Europe, Japan and Korea.
Dedicated to quality and excellence in IP service delivery to clients
Lionel offers clients dedicated service and high quality advice to manage their IP portfolio and navigate complex issues as they arise. This is reflected in the outcomes he achieves for his clients, through hands-on experience and anchored in expertise gained during his engineering and law studies.
As an active member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), Lionel remains at the forefront of global intellectual property trends. Similarly as a contributor to IP Update — Canada, the firm's intellectual property law bulletin, he regularly reports on timely and important developments in intellectual property regimes in Canada.
- Industry Involvement
- "What every in-house counsel needs to know about Intellectual Property law" (with Daniel Anthony and Philip Lapin), Association for Corporate Counsel-Ontario and Smart & Biggar webinar, May 2020
- "Enforcing Trademarks and Copyright Online: Strategies and Pitfalls" (moderator), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, November 2014
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member, Young Practitioners Committee of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association