Patent lawyer and agent with diverse technical expertise
Informed by his varied engineering experience and legal training, Lionel understands the challenges that innovative clients face. He offers practical and strategic counsel on all issues related to developing, securing, utilizing and enforcing intellectual property rights, with a particular focus on patent and design rights.
Lionel’s technical expertise is primarily in the mechanical engineering and electro-mechanical fields. He advises Canadian companies of all sizes and from a wide range of sectors, assisting them in extracting the maximum value from their inventions and novel designs. Lionel also counsels clients from abroad seeking to file for and prosecute patents and industrial designs in Canada.
A recipient of awards and scholarships during his engineering and law studies, Lionel’s commitment to excellence continues. As a contributor and editor of IP Update — Canada, the firm's intellectual property law bulletin, he regularly reports on the importance of developments in Canada’s intellectual property regime. Similarly, as an active member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), Lionel remains at the forefront of global intellectual property trends.
- Industry Involvement
- "What every in-house counsel needs to know about Intellectual Property law" (with Daniel Anthony and Philip Lapin), Association for Corporate Counsel-Ontario and Smart & Biggar webinar, May 2020
- "Enforcing Trademarks and Copyright Online: Strategies and Pitfalls" (moderator), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, November 2014
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member, Young Practitioners Committee of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association