Results-driven IP strategy and litigation
Guillaume is a copyright, patent, and trademark litigator who is trusted by his clients to put in place practical and results-driven litigation strategies in complex IP matters. By devoting the time and energy necessary to fundamentally understand their business, Guillaume can develop efficient and creative approaches to leverage litigation in his clients’ favour.
Guillaume represents local, national and international clients in a diverse array of industries, including motion picture and other media, broadcasting, retail goods, personal care products, sports equipment, food and beverage, and industrial products.
Adept in complex, large-scale litigation cases and contentious trademark matters
In addition to being involved in all aspects of intellectual property litigation before the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Superior Court of Québec, Guillaume has particular experience in managing large-scale, multi-party litigation and in seeking and executing complex extraordinary remedies such as Anton Piller orders, interim and interlocutory injunctions, Mareva injunctions and contempt orders before the Federal Court in copyright and patent matters.
His practice also includes contentious trademark prosecution matters such as trademark oppositions and summary cancellation proceedings, both in first instance before the Trademarks Opposition Board and on appeal. Guillaume is frequently involved in the protection and enforcement of protected geographical indications (Appellations d’Origine Contrôlée) in Canada.
Guillaume is the president and a member of the Board of Directors of the Montreal Artists Legal Clinic/Clinique juridique des artistes de Montréal (CJAM), a charitable non-profit organization that provides free legal information to artists in Montreal.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "Le litige en propriété intellectuelle repensé - faire valoir ses droits à l’aide de recours alternatifs ", (co-presenter: Kristina Milbourn), virtual conference, Smart & Biggar and ACC Québec, October 6, 2021
- "So Your Client Is Alleged to Have Infringed Someone’s Copyright: What Might It Cost Them?", moderator, IPIC, October 5, 2021
- “Recent Developments In Intellectual Property And Entertainment Law 2020”, teacher, Barreau du Québec, November 13, 2020
- "Copyright Earthquakes or Minor Tremors? Site Blocking and Reverse Class Actions", panellist, 2020 IPIC Annual Conference, October 2, 2020
- "11th Annual Fox IP Moot", panellist, Toronto, ON, February 22-23, 2019
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Association du Jeune Barreau de Montréal
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- "Survol pratique des recours extraordinaires en matière de droit d’auteur au Canada" (co-author: Olivier Jean-Lévesque), Développements récents en droit de la propriété intellectuelle, Éditions Yvon Blais, Vol. 484, November 2020
- Quoted in the article "Des mots qui causent des maux : lire aux enfants virtuellement, tout en suivant la loi," ICI Alberta, CBC Radio-Canada, April 7, 2020
- "Au-delà de la lutte anti-contrefaçon: effets pratiques de l’amendement à l’article 20 de la Loi sur les marques de commerce" (co-author:
Olivier Jean-Lévesque), Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle, vol. 30, no. 1, Montreal, Éditions Yvon Blais, January 2018
- "L'emploi d'une marque de service par l'annonce : une approche pratique" (co-authors: Christian Bolduc and Oliver Tourangeau), Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle, Montreal, Éditions Yvon Blais, Vol. 24, No. 1 (2012)