Smart & Biggar boasts 16 lawyers and agents recognized as leaders for IP in Who’s Who Legal: Canada Guide 2022
Smart & Biggar is proud to be featured once again as a leader in IP in the recent edition of Who’s Who Legal (WWL) Canada Guide 2022.
In total, 16 of our lawyers and patent agents have been recognized across all areas of IP practice featured in the guide including Patents (Litigation), Patent Agents (Patent Prosecution), Trademarks, Life Sciences and Data. Through nominations by clients and peers, those listed have been honoured with national recognition and highlight Smart & Biggar’s expertise in all areas of Intellectual Property, marking our outstanding leadership and service in the legal industry.
Congratulations to our Smart & Biggar lawyers and agents who are acclaimed for their outstanding work:
Christian Bolduc – Trademarks; “Most highly regarded”
- “The ‘excellent, knowledgeable, and highly responsive’ Christian Bolduc stands out for his top-tier work in trademark issues.”
Mark Evans – Trademarks; “Most highly regarded”
- “Market commentators describe Mark Evans as ‘highly recommendable’ and ‘an excellent lawyer’ for his work on numerous high-profile cases in Canada.”
Philip Lapin – “Most highly regarded”
- “Philip Lapin has an excellent track record of IP-related mandates and is highly recommended by his peers for his work on trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings in particular.”
Kohji Suzuki – Trademarks
Gunars Gaikis – Patents (Litigation) “Most highly regarded” and also listed for Life Sciences
- “Gunars Gaikis is a market-leading patent litigator with an outstanding track record in the pharmaceuticals sector.”
Steven Garland – Patents (Litigation) “Most highly regarded” and also listed for Life Sciences;
- “Steven Garland has over 25 years of experience working across various aspects of intellectual property law and has worked with many the world’s largest companies in high-profile cases.”
François Guay – Patents (Litigation) and also listed for Trademarks
- “The ‘very renowned’ François Guay is highlighted for his patent prowess backed up by over 35 years in the intellectual property sector.”
Sheldon Hamilton – Patents (Litigation) and also listed for Life Sciences
Yoon Kang – Patents (Litigation) and also listed for Life Sciences
- “Yoon Kang is a top-drawer life sciences litigator who wins plaudits for her counsel of international pharmaceutical companies on patent matters.”
Nancy Pei – Patents (Litigation) and also listed for Life Sciences
- “Nancy Pei is ‘an exceptional patent litigator’ with a very impressive practice in the intellectual property field.”
- Nancy Pei is identified as a ‘very good patent litigator’ who has established herself as a leader in the life sciences sphere.
Patent Agents (Prosecution)
John Knox – Patent Agents (Prosecution)
- “John Knox is a favourite among peers and clients alike for his top-tier patent application advice in the electronics and software areas.”
Daphne Lainson – Patent Agents (Prosecution)
- “Daphne Lainson stands out for her in-depth knowledge of patent regulations and advises clients across the chemical and life sciences sectors.”
David Schwartz – Patent Agents (Prosecution)
Oliver Stone – Patent Agents (Prosecution)
Matthew Zischka – Patent Agents (Prosecution)
- “Matthew Zischka is extensively experienced in managing patent prosecutions and transactions for clients in the technology sector, including the AI and fintech areas.”
Alice Tseng – Life Sciences “Most highly regarded” and additionally listed for Data
- “Alice Tseng with Smart & Biggar wins commendations for her ‘significant health regulatory expertise for pharmaceutical companies’.”
About Who’s Who Legal (WWL)
WWL celebrates the world’s leading lawyers. Each year, WWL National Guides awards individuals and firms who have performed exceptionally well across 40 areas of business law, including Patents (Litigation), Patent Agents (Patent Prosecution), Trademarks, and Life Sciences.
The firm’s results are available to view online now. Congratulations to each of our lawyers and agents for this impressive national recognition.
About Smart & Biggar
Smart & Biggar is widely recognized as Canada’s leading intellectual property firm, with offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. We are leaders in intellectual property and have been serving clients for over a century. Smart & Biggar operates as part of the IPH Limited group, under its own brand and independent from other IPH member firms.