Harnessing extensive scientific knowledge to protect client innovations
An accomplished doctorate recipient, Lei harnesses his advanced knowledge of biotechnology, biological science and chemistry to assist clients with protecting their valuable innovations. Lei makes strides to understand his clients’ business objectives and to obtain intellectual property assets that have business value for them.
Lei drafts and prosecutes Canadian patent applications and coordinates the drafting and prosecution of patent applications worldwide. He counts among his clients pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, research institutions, and universities. Lei also has experience in IP transactions, and assisting clients with IP due diligence, IP audits and IP–related agreements.
Accomplished medical researcher and award recipient
Lei’s doctoral studies focused on cardiovascular, obesity and atherosclerosis research. During his studies, Lei received multiple prestigious awards including the Merck Frosst Schering Award and the AstraZeneca Award for presentations delivered at the Canadian Lipoprotein Conference, as well as the Dr. Robert John Wilson Fellowship. He also took part in the Stroke, Cardiovascular, Obesity, Lipids, Atherosclerosis Research (SCOLAR) Training Program funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
Lei has co-authored "Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses: Canada Chapter" (Wolters Kluwer Law, September 26 2016) with Steven Garland and Daniel Davies of Smart Biggar, and "Patent Litigation 2018 – Canada” (Chambers Global Practice Guides, February 2018) with Steven Garland, Jeremy Want and Daniel Davies of Smart Biggar.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Panelist, “The Strain I Own: Plant Breeders Rights and Patents” (co-panelist: Graham Hood), GrowUp Conference and Expo, Niagra Falls, Ontario, September 13
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs
- "Protecting patents and plant breeders' rights", Grow Opportunity, February 14, 2020
- "Patent Litigation 2020 - Canada” (co-authors: Steven Garland, Jeremy Want and Daniel Davies), Chambers Global Practice Guides, February 2020
- "Cannabis Patent Implications" (co-author: Alice Tseng), Lexis Nexis Practice Guide, March 14, 2019
- "Patent Litigation 2018 – Canada,” (co-authors: Jeremy Want, Steven Garland, Daniel Davies), Chambers Global Practice Guides, February, 2018
- "Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses: Canada Chapter" (co-authors: Steven Garland, Daniel Davies), Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses, Wolters Kluwer Law, September 26 2016
- "Apolipoprotein (a) stimulates vascular endothelial cell growth and migration and signals through integrin alphaVbeta3," Biochemical Journal, 2009, 418(2):325-36