Smart & Biggar Calgary Partners participate in PSAC-U webinar "Driving growth in the energy sector through innovation and IP"
On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, Calgary partners Evan Nuttall and Alistair Simpson will present at “PSAC-U: Driving growth in the energy sector through innovation and IP”, a webinar hosted by The Petroleum Services Association of Canada (PSAC).
Evan and Alistair will review the patent landscape in Canada, the legal risks involved in not protecting or respecting IP rights and the commercial benefits that come from having a well-managed IP portfolio and roadmap. Discussion topics include:
- Understanding the patent landscape in Canada vs the world
- Patents and trade secrets in the oil/gas, energy services sector
- When and why you need to file a patent, and other IP considerations
- High stakes of IP: litigation and enforcement 101
- Understanding legal (infringement) risks involving patent and trade secrets
- Defending your patents and enforcing rights beyond Canadian borders
The webinar will also include speakers from the Ministry of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) and BDC Capital, who together with Smart & Biggar, will explore how companies in the energy sector can leverage their investments in R&D and innovation through the strategic use of IP to achieve growth in Canada and abroad. The presentation will be moderated by PSAC Interim President and CEO Elizabeth Aquin.
Event registration is free and available here: https://www.psac.ca/event/psac-u-innovation-and-ip/
Smart & Biggar is widely recognized as Canada’s leading firm for intellectual property law, with offices in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. We are leaders in intellectual property and technology law and have been serving clients for over a century.