Ekaterina Tsimberis discusses best practices for preparing evidence in trademark matters in IPIC featured webinar
On Tuesday, June 22, 2021, Montreal partner Ekaterina Tsimberis will participate in the webinar “Best Practices: Preparing Evidence in Trademark Matters”, hosted by the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC).
Preparing evidence in trademark matters is challenging and perilous due to the technical requirements in the Trademarks Act and case law. This webinar, focused on helping midlevel to advanced practitioners, will instruct attendees on how to avoid the pitfalls in preparing trademark evidence for prosecution of applications, Trademarks Opposition Board (TMOB) proceedings and trials.
Alongside industry peers, Ekaterina will highlight the critical sections of the Trademarks Act that practitioners will need to understand when preparing evidence, including:
- the practical implications for understanding and proving “use” in Section 4 and related sections of the Trademarks Act;
- the challenges in establishing goodwill in various types of trademark matters;
- how to best obtain and preserve online digital evidence through social media and other sources;
- the strategic approaches for evidence preparation for trials, applications and TMOB proceedings; and
- if survey evidence is still relevant.
Learn more and register for the webinar today.
Smart & Biggar is widely recognized as Canada’s leading firm for intellectual property law, with offices in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. We are leaders in intellectual property and technology law and have been serving clients for over a century.