Smart & Biggar tops the ranking in Canada once again for patents, trademarks and copyright, in the 2022 Managing IP: IP Stars Guide
Smart & Biggar is pleased to share that Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) has once again ranked the firm as Tier 1 in all firm-wide categories in the 2022 IP Stars Guide, topping the charts for Patent Contentious and Patent Prosecution, Trademark Contentious and Trademark Prosecution, and Copyright & related rights.
We are proud to be recognized by MIP as one of only two firms to achieve top rankings across all areas of IP. MIP's researchers affirmed Smart & Biggar “retains its position as one of the leading IP firms in Canada [that] is highly recommended for IP protection and disputes work” in addition to being “a boutique that maintains a significant soft IP practice” for Trademarks. They also praise Smart & Biggar’s patent practice for its “technical expertise [that is] quite broad, covering areas such as life sciences, software/ICT, electronics, and mechanical engineering” with “patent practitioners [who] are dual qualified to deal with both patent protection and litigation.”
Reinforcing our position as a leading IP firm in Canada, Smart & Biggar celebrated this year's IP Stars releases with more practitioners ranked than any other IP boutique in Canada. Overall, the firm was honoured with 18 principals named as 2022 MIP IP Stars, and an additional 9 of our trademark and patent practitioners were given honourable mention as ‘Notable Practitioners’ for their expertise and status as future IP Stars to watch.
2022 MIP IP Stars and Notable Practitioners
- Daniel Anthony – Notable Practitioner
- Mark Biernacki – MIP IP Star
- Christian Bolduc – MIP IP Star
- Allan Brett – MIP IP Star
- Jean-Sébastien Dupont – Notable Practitioner
- Mark Evans – MIP IP Star
- Ryan T. Evans – Notable Practitioner
- Gunars Gaikis – Notable Practitioner
- Steven Garland – MIP IP Star
- Christine Genge – Notable Practitioner
- François Guay – MIP IP Star
- Sheldon Hamilton – MIP IP Star
- Lynn Ing – Notable Practitioner
- Yoon Kang – MIP IP Star
- Daphne Lainson – MIP IP Star, Top 250 Women in IP
- Philip Lapin – MIP IP Star
- Guillaume Lavoie Ste-Marie – Notable Practitioner
- Evan Nuttall – Notable Practitioner
- Nancy Pei – MIP IP Star
- Christopher Robinson – Notable Practitioner
- David Schwartz – MIP IP Star
- Elliot Simcoe – MIP IP Star
- Kohji Suzuki – MIP IP Star
- Alice Tseng – Notable Practitioner
- Jeremy Want – MIP IP Star
- Matthew Zischka – MIP IP Star
Earlier this year, MIP honoured principal Daphne Lainson with recognition in the Top 250 Women in IP 2022. Additionally, principals Jamie-Lynn Kraft of Ottawa, Vancouver-based Kwan T. Loh and senior associate, Laura Easton of Calgary were honoured once again as 2022’s “Rising Stars” by the MIP IP Stars - Rising Stars.
Smart & Biggar also proudly received honours in three award categories at the MIP North America Awards 2022, including “IP Boutique Firm of the Year” for the third consecutive year and “Firm of the Year” awards for both Trademark Contentious and Patent Prosecution in Canada. Additionally, Smart & Biggar was awarded “Canadian Impact Case of the Year” for successfully representing client Pampered Chef and Columbia Insurance against trademark infringement claims brought by Loblaws in what was a closely watched case at the Federal Court of Appeal in Loblaws Inc v Columbia Insurance Company. The award-winning litigation team included Mark Evans, Steve Garland, Mark Biernacki, Graham Hood and Tierney Deluzio.
About Smart & Biggar
Smart & Biggar is widely recognized as Canada’s leading intellectual property firm, with offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. We are leaders in intellectual property and have been serving clients for over a century. Smart & Biggar operates as part of the IPH Limited group, under its own brand and independent from other IPH member firms.