A trademark lawyer with a high standard of excellence
Leading brand owners rely on Tierney’s trademark law knowledge and expertise to protect and strengthen the value of their brands. She is involved in all aspects of trademarks, including counselling, prosecution, enforcement, and litigation. Tierney provides practical advice to her clients on potential risks, and advises them on building and protecting their brands and reputation across a range of industries, including in the cosmetics, fashion and apparel, consumer goods, food and beverage and pharmaceutical industries.
A dynamic practice including trademark, copyright, regulatory and marketing and advertising expertise
Tierney’s practice also includes copyright counselling, prosecution, and litigation for copyright, working with clients across a wide range of industries. During her legal studies Tierney was a research assistant to Professor Margaret Ann Wilkinson, Professor of Law and Director, Intellectual Property, Information and Technology at the University of Western Ontario. During her term, she co-authored two papers, “Copyright in Photographs in Canada Since 2012” and “The Term of Copyright Protection in Photographs.”
As a member of the firm’s Marketing and Advertising Practice Group, Tierney’s practice also includes working with brands to ensure compliance with Canadian marketing and advertising laws. She advises clients on the aspects of IP law that relate to product packaging and labelling, print and broadcasting advertisements, misleading advertising complaints, and the use of digital platforms and social media campaigns.
As a law student, Tierney was the recipient of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association Prize in Criminal Law, and recognized for having the highest grade in the concentration of Intellectual Property, Information & Technology.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- “Copyright in Photographs in Canada Since 2012” (co-authors: Carolyn Soltau and Margaret Ann Wilkinson) Open Shelf, December 1, 2015
- “The Term of Copyright Protection in Photographs” (co-author: Margaret Ann Wilkinson) Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 31:1, 95, 2015
- “Cyclodextrin inclusion complexes as potential oxygen delivery vehicles in tissue engineering,” (co-authors: Kalin I. Penev, and Kibret Mequanint) Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Vol. 4, No.11, 957-966, November 2014
- “3D scaffolds in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine: beyond structural templates?” (co-authors: Dawit G. Seifu and Kibret Mequanint) Pharmaceutical Bioprocessing, 1(3), 267-281, 2013