Professional interest meets personal passion
Stemming from an early curiosity around the imitation and reproduction of goods, Stephanie has built a legal career focused on protecting the intellectual property of creators and business people alike. As a lawyer, trademark agent and copyright specialist, Stephanie is a valuable resource through her ability to listen to clients’ needs, understand their business, know their competition and find the best possible solution to leverage the potential of their brands.
Trademark authority and copyright expertise
To supplement her Law Degree from Université de Sherbrooke, Stephanie has pursued continuing education in copyright and entertainment law. Her practice includes trademark counselling throughout the trademark life cycle, including clearance, prosecution, opposition and enforcement. She regularly performs trademark clearance searches and provides availability opinions, prepares and files trademark applications, and prosecutes trademark applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
Stephanie has worked with small and mid-sized businesses across North America as well as international associate firms seeking counsel in trademark law. She covers all industry areas, including fashion, cosmetics, and food and beverage. Her work in entertainment law has involved drafting agreements for artists and creators, music publishing agreements, and other agreements specific to the entertainment industry. Her experience has also made her familiar with IT matters. She has drafted Software-as-a-Service agreements and other IT-related agreements.
- Industry Involvement
- "Operational contracts and IP rights", (co-presenter: Theodore Sum), Smart & Biggar webinar, March 30, 2022
- "La langue du commerce et des affaires au Québec : les exigences sous la Charte de la langue française", L’Association du Barreau canadien – Québec, Webinar, December 2, 2021
- "Les données en milieu d'entreprise : reconnaître les enjeux de création, de protection et de valorisation", (panelist), ACC-Quebec and Smart & Webinar, November 3, 2021
- “Strategically navigating French language requirements and leveraging trademarks”, (with Christian Bolduc), Smart & Biggar Webinar, October 21, 2021
- “Brand protection in the digital economy – beyond the basics”, (with moderator Brigide Mattar and co-presenter Noelle Engle-Hardy), BDC Capital Women in Technology Venture Fund and Smart & Biggar Webinar, March 24, 2021
- Member of the executive committee, Canadian Bar Association (Intellectual Property Division – Québec)