Strategic IP counselling throughout the trademark life cycle
Francesca provides strategic counselling and IP services to clients in a variety of industries throughout the trademark life cycle, including clearance, prosecution, opposition and enforcement.
In addition to her trademarks practice, Francesca is also frequently involved in the protection and enforcement of protected geographical indications (GIs) in Canada for European clients.
Creative solutions to complex IP litigation matters
Francesca’s litigation practice encompasses all aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and industrial designs. She is involved in developing litigation strategies and drafting procedural documents for motions and trials before the Federal Court and the Superior Court of Quebec.
Francesca previously worked as a rights and contracts coordinator for a literary book publisher where she worked closely with authors and creators to advise them on copyright issues. She was also a member of the Association nationale des éditeurs de livres (ANEL)’s copyright committee from 2015 to 2018.
While at law school, she worked as a research assistant for professor Ysolde Gendreau, and volunteered with the Pro Bono Students Canada organization for The Montreal Artists-Entrepreneurs Association (ARTENA)’s legal service.
Francesca received the Bloomfield scholarship in 2018, awarded to a second-year LL.B. student for outstanding academic performance. Her published work includes « La constitution de sûretés sur les marques de commerce : quelle valeur accorder aux actifs intangibles ? », (2020) 32/3 Les cahiers de propriété intellectuelle 405.
Francesca Roy holds a Bachelor of Laws degree at the University of Montreal and a Master's degree in literature from the University of Paris VIII.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- "De l’importance du lieu. Comprendre et naviguer les indications géographiques", (co-speaker: Ekaterina Tsimberis), Bar of Quebec, November 17, 2022
- "Branding and French Language Requirements in Québec: Understanding the Recognized Trademark Exception through Case Studies", (co-speaker: Christian Bolduc), Smart & Biggar Webinar, November 10, 2022
- Member, Copyright Committee for Association nationale des éditeurs de livres (ANEL) (since 2016)
- " Bill-96 and its impact on the Quebec’s French language requirements", ((co-author: Christian Bolduc), Lexpert Legal Insights, December 9, 2022
- "Bill 96 and its impact on the French-language requirements in Québec", (co-author: Christian Bolduc), WTR Daily, October 21, 2022
- "Passionnée par la PI!", Droit Inc, November 23, 2022