Turning technological innovation into market value
As a chemical engineer with a solid understanding of mechanical and materials engineering concepts, Ali handles projects in a wide variety of technical fields. He combines his multidisciplinary engineering background and experience in management consulting to help companies achieve their business goals in diverse sectors, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, oil and gas, food, polymers, medical devices, automotive and aerospace. Ali understands clients’ growth objectives and identifies strategic oversights through in-depth investigations of clients’ technologies, suppliers and competitors to come up with tailor-made IP strategies that allow full exploitation of innovations for commercial success.
Before joining Smart & Biggar, Ali worked as a technical consultant helping small and medium-sized enterprises recoup maximum portions of their R&D expenditures through the CRA’s Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) program. Prior to this, he worked as an engineer for one of Canada’s largest medical device companies where he contributed to developing cutting-edge tools for minimally invasive cardiac surgeries.
During his time in R&D, Ali became familiar with how intellectual property can be leveraged to create growth for businesses. He now helps innovative companies access new markets and generate new revenue streams through flexible IP strategies designed to balance short- and long-term objectives.
- Industry Involvement
- In the Media
- Member, Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE)
- “Reactions, hydrodynamics and mass transfer in micro-packed beds—Overview and new mass transfer data” (co-authors: Jean-Nöel Tourvieille and Faïçal Larachi), Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 110, December 2016, 80-96
- “Two-phase flow hydrodynamic study in micro-packed beds – Effect of bed geometry and particle size” (co-author: Faïçal Larachi), Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 78, April 2014, 27-36
- “Hydrodynamics of gas–liquid micro-fixed beds – Measurement approaches and technical challenges” (co-authors: Mohsen Hamidipour and Faïçal Larachi), Chemical Engineering Journal, 223, May 2013, 425-435
- “Hydrodynamics of Gas–Liquid Cocurrent Flows in Micropacked Beds—Wall Visualization Study” (co-author: Faïçal Larachi), Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, November 2012, 51, 50, 16495-16504