Smart & Biggar is honoured to announce that 17 partners have been listed among the world’s leading lawyers in Life Sciences, Patents, Trademarks and Data Privacy and Protection by Who’s Who Legal in their 2018 guides. The inclusion of our partners across these practice areas reflects the firm’s depth of knowledge and expertise in Intellectual Property.
Who’s Who Legal lauded Smart& Biggar as “Canada’s premier specialist IP and tech firm” and in the area of patents noted that the firm “emerges as the leading firm in Canada” with 12 patent agents recommended.
In addition, Gunars Gaikis was identified in the guide as a “Thought Leader” in the Americas in two practice areas, Patents and Life Sciences: Patent Litigation.
Name / photo
Commentary / Quote
- Christian is "an excellent trademark lawyer". He is applauded for his extensive experience managing sophisticated trademark portfolios for major global players.
- Mark is a specialist when it comes to counselling high-profile brand owners on the full spectrum of trademark matters, including protection, portfolio management and litigation.
- Ron is esteemed in the market as a great strategist and an authority on patent prosecution.
- THOUGHT LEADER
- LIFE SCIENCES:
- Admired for his longstanding reputation in the life sciences space. He is an accomplished patent litigator who often represents major clients in the pharmaceutical sector “a ‘very strong practitioner’ and ‘unquestionably a leader in this space’”.
- Well known for his patent law expertise, and has acted for numerous innovator companies in proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations. Steve is “a leading lawyer” who focuses his first-class practice in a range of areas.
- Stephan is a well-regarded name for patents and commercial strategy.
- Francois counts some the world’s best-known companies among his clients. He is a highly rated intellectual property litigator with more than 30 years’ experience in the field.
- Sheldon is “an outstanding lawyer” praised for his fantastic advocacy in patent infringement and validity proceedings. He is recognized for his extensive experience appearing as trial and appellate counsel in a range of proceedings.
- John is a leading light in patent protection for electronic and computer related products.
- Daphne is a go-to name in pharmaceutical patents and an authority on Canadian IP law.
- Phil is a standout name at the Canadian trademarks bar who wins praise for his "specialist expertise handling oppositions".
Nancy P Pei
- LIFE SCIENCES:
- PATENT LITIGATION
- Nancy impresses commentators with her vast knowledge in the pharmaceutical sector, and is “an excellent lawyer” thanks to her expansive experience representing prominent life sciences companies in high-stakes patent infringement litigation.
- Chris is highly esteemed for his work with biotechnology and chemical companies, including biologics and agriculture.
David E Schwartz
- David is widely respected throughout the market.
- Oliver is “excellent – the go-to person in Canada”.
- LIFE SCIENCES:
- DATA PRIVACY AND PROTECTION
- Alice is “highly recommended” by peers who appreciate her superb understanding of regulatory and marketing matters affecting clients in highly regulated industries including pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
- Matt is a standout figure in the market.
Who’s Who Legal selects lawyers based on comprehensive, independent survey work with both general counsel and private practice lawyers worldwide. Only those receiving the highest number of recommendations from peers and clients are listed in the guide.
Since 1996, Who's Who Legal has identified the leading practitioners in business law. For more information, click here.
Smart & Biggar is Canada's largest firm practising exclusively in intellectual property and technology law, with offices in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. As leaders in intellectual property and technology law Smart & Biggar has been serving clients for over a century. For more information, please visit smart-biggar.ca.